Fuel cost too high, thinking of trading to Sailboat for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm on Erie (east end).... its a long run from home to the wrecks...
How far are the wrecks from the nearest launch ramp though? I understand enjoying being on the water instead of the road, but many places can be accessed by other means. A smaller boat is easily trailered down the road, and launched/recovered quickly. Ever see a Sealegs RIB? With my little boat I can launch a lot of places bigger boats can not, opening up more dive locations. Beaches being the most common spot to launch for free at our State Parks (Well I buy a state park pass every year).

How far are the wrecks from the nearest launch ramp though?

When I dive Erie, I am on the wrecks of of Long Point. So we leave from either Port Dover, or Turkey Point, then waaaaaaaaaaay out around Long Point, then a few miles west. If there was a ramp to the west of Long Point, it would be a much shorter trip, but there isn't one. Not until Port Burwell or someplace. Just west of Long Point, the water is really shallow for hundreds of yards out... like 1' - 2' deep, and often choppy. In theory, you could toss in an inflatable but you would really be taking your chances at getting back in if the wind picked up... which it always seems to on Erie.

I have dove quite a few times off of my buddies 40' Beneteau. It is a gorgeous sail boat. It is somewhat difficult to dive off of due the stanchion for the wheel and the cockpit is somewhat limited. this boat is a racer so its a little tighter than a cruiser type. The swim platform is decent. We usually always motor to the dive sites. The boat runs about 7knots under power and burns next to no fuel. However it takes a while to get to the dive sites. To me unless you are a sailer I wouldn't recommend a sailboat of any size for diving. Some of the suggestions about buying a 20' RIB makes a lot of sense to me. I bought a 28' power boat this fall and am also concerned about fuel costs. I am gonna dive however and whenever I want this year and see what it costs.

Stano

How far are the wrecks from the nearest launch ramp though? I understand enjoying being on the water instead of the road, but many places can be accessed by other means. A smaller boat is easily trailered down the road, and launched/recovered quickly. Ever see a Sealegs RIB? With my little boat I can launch a lot of places bigger boats can not, opening up more dive locations. Beaches being the most common spot to launch for free at our State Parks (Well I buy a state park pass every year).

Significant drive (1+ hours), or cross an international border which can take even longer and then add customs/immigration...and the wrecks are still 3-5 mi offshore. Erie is not access friendly... Lake gets fun too. Had calm mornings and 7-10s on the way home.... It's a challenge here...

not a bad idea at all, (Generally, boat choice for local conditions, may vary) i did that off mumbai recently, total motor running time 1 hr, (35 minutes to take her outta mooring and bringing her back), dive site about 3 hrs away one way (Give or take)

Attachments

• Sushil & I, at the helm of Peace & Plenty.jpg
    Sushil & I, at the helm of Peace & Plenty.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 262
My first boat was a 12.5' Achilles inflatable with a Suzuki 25HP outboard. It was a lot of fun and I took it to Catalina Island several times as well as diving offshore wrecks. A few years later I bought a 22' Columbia sailboat. Sailing was fun, but it too all day to get to Catalina. Even for local diving it was an all day affair. There was room for two to dive uncomfortably, and we encountered the difficulties of getting back aboard in rough seas. When we took the sailboat to Catalina we would tow the inflatable behind and dive from it.
I've had two power boats since I sold the inflatable and sailboat. They are both such huge expenses that I gave up many things I used to do. I don't eat out much. I haven't been to a movie or baseball game in years. I drive a 1994 Mazda pickup with almost 300,000 miles on it. I bought it in 2001 for $6000 and it just won't die. Believe me, I've tried to kill it many times. :)
I figure that diving is what makes me happiest, so I work around the expense of boat ownership as much as I can. The fuel dock at my marina charges $1.10 more per gallon than one 18 miles away. My boat holds 150 gallons, so it makes a huge saving to go to the cheaper fuel dock. Fortunately, there are some nice wrecks and reefs nearby, so I dive them whenever I need gas.

Hey, thanks for the insights! My bow-rider is a 18.5' Four Winns, with a 5L V8. It's just too small for my comfort in the river and lake anymore. There's too many big boats that think they own the river. I've been nearly swamped one time too many. I'm thinking about upgrading to a bigger one (really like the Sea Ray 220 or 240 Sundeck), but I'm sure it's a thirsty girl! I guess I was just trying to think out-side the box so to speak. I have thought about the slip/marina fees, thought maybe that would be a loss, or wash at best versus fuel cost. Not terribly interested in charters, I like the freedom of going when and where I want, but that's an option. Besides, my wife doesn't dive, so she just likes hanging out on the boat while we're exploring the bottom. I guess I'll keep looking to upgrade my power boat :(

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 09:53 PM ----------

You do realize once you convert to sails Michigan will have the most windless season in 200 years. For what economic preditions are worth, fuel prices in the US are supposed to start a long term trend lower about mid year.

U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Hey, you must know me! I'm LMAO, because that would be just my luck!! Bought a Diesel truck, two months later, the price of diesel was way more than gasoline and has been so ever since!

would you/do you take a 14' Zodiac 3-4 miles offshore?
Weather permitting, hell yes. I took my 12.5ft Bombard with 25hp fourstroke a lot further than that. The reality is that if the weather is total crap you probably don't wanna be diving anyway.

Weather permitting, hell yes. I took my 12.5ft Bombard with 25hp fourstroke a lot further than that. The reality is that if the weather is total crap you probably don't wanna be diving anyway.

Me too, way more than a few miles. Hades, I have been further than that in my kayak much less my 14 foot inflatable Cancuro.

The reason people claim the first and last days of boat ownership are the best is because they purchase boats that are many times beyond their financial capability and are slaves to the bank and far more than their actual need.

N

Ah, I just necro-posted in an older thread before I saw this one. Just finished a year-long refurb of my 30-foot sailboat and trying to figure out where a tank rack & etc, and maybe someday a compressor, could go.

As others have said, for a day-trip, a small inflatable is the way to go. But I'm thinking of those week-long live-aboard trips, where you can surface, stick the hot water hose into your suit (ahhhh!) and have the coffee waiting. Running back to port for an airfill at 6 kts probably limits the ratio of sailing to diving though.

As far as getting back on board, on friend's boats, we always just left several lanyards hanging over the side. Clip your gear onto a lanyard and shrug out of it, then climb the ladder unencumbered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom