Fuel Cost on the Rise, So What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I find it interesting how so many people do not seem to understand the impact of rising fuel prices. So, how will this affect you as a diver?

- Boats pay more for fuel, so boat costs go up.

- Gasoline for compressors go up, so fills go up.

- Costs more fuel to get to a dive site, you may stay closer to home or not go so many times.

- Airline prices go up, adding to your diving holiday costs or make it unaffordable.

- If you send tanks out for hydro, the cost of the truck transferring them go up, so cost of hydro goes up.

- Dive gear bought at an LDS will go up, because the delivery cost will go up.

- Diver gear bought online will go up because the UPS / FedEx delivery costs go up.

Anyone else have something to add?

I find it interesting how so many people do not seem to understand the impact of rising fuel prices. So, how will this affect you as a diver?

- Boats pay more for fuel, so boat costs go up.
Our boat is pretty fuel efficient. Same with friends boat. Traveling that could be a issue, but our next trip is to Kona where we plan to shore dive.

- Gasoline for compressors go up, so fills go up.
Huh? Gas compressors? Electricity prices always go up, and our electric company is about to install a new meter that isn't broken like the current meter. Solar is in our future. Solar should be in most everyone future as the system can be had for typically less than their current electric bill. I dare folks to get a quote and find out for themselves, how going green can save them big money. If paid by cash it can be up to a 15% return on your money. Much better than the stock market.

- Costs more fuel to get to a dive site, you may stay closer to home or not go so many times.
Buying a Prius back in 2006 was a good move. I have saved a ton of money and done my share for the environment. Often one of our friends drive and he has a company gas card with a fuel efficient company pickup truck. We drove 588 miles over the weekend. I couldn't imagine paying to do that in a vehicle that gets less than 25 mpg. Much better to be getting well over 40 mpg, and the new Prius' get 50 mpg. American's now stuck on owning an SUV will soon enough be wanting a smaller car like they have in Europe. Along with high speed trains.

- Airline prices go up, adding to your diving holiday costs or make it unaffordable.
We already get killed on our trips to France, so my partner can go home, UGG!

- If you send tanks out for hydro, the cost of the truck transferring them go up, so cost of hydro goes up.
Hydro shop is less than 4 miles away.

- Dive gear bought at an LDS will go up, because the delivery cost will go up.
LDS's don't have any Hogarthian type dive gear. Unfortunately they do not have much gear at all for us.

- Diver gear bought online will go up because the UPS / FedEx delivery costs go up.
Fortunatly we pretty much have everything we need :)

Anyone else have something to add?
Oil prices effect every part of our lives. Groceries to things we use daily. Oil prices will continue to rise as we have hit peak oil (No longer easily available at the surface, instead it is pumped from over a mile under the sea, or extracted from sand.). Expect costs to rise for everything across the board. Although as foreign goods shipping costs rise it may mean more manufacturing comes back to the USA. That could be a good thing, although it will probably be on a small scale.

My daughter whined because I drove 60 on a 70 mph road for 2 hours. Less than 20 minutes more driving time for 20% gas savings. There are other ways to help.

That's why my mainland car gets 38 mpg (when I can get it started) and my golf cart on the island gets 70 mpg. Oh, and you think gas prices are steep on the mainland, try them out here on Catalina.

Already started rethinking some planned trips to Florida. An extra $100 in gas for a weekend trip starts impacting everything.

As I stand at the pump putting gas in my truck to go diving. My internal temperature goes up proportionately to the amount on the pump.:depressed: The same temperature rise is felt listening to our current leaders talking about their salary and retirement bennies.:mooner:

I used to smirk at the guys packing 2 sets of dive gear in a sub-compact car while I drove up in my SUV like a red neck (ok real red necks would drive a truck)

At 330 miles per dive day, now I am driving my Corolla (38MPG). Not as fun, but you adapt to keep what is important to you working. We always joke about stupid divers being eliminated by Darwin, but Darwin's law is really more appropriate to the divers who refuse to adapt to changing conditions. Gas price is just one of those changes we will adapt to in order to continue.

"when I can get it started" - I know the feeling. That's why I gave up on my ancient F-150 at 367,000 miles, but it was a gas hog and needed shot anyway. Have you looked into rental costs, Bill - for your rare mainland trips?

"SUV like a red neck" - Soccer Mom? One of the reasons I got the Impala, aside from shopping for used cars in a small town with a pickup that may not start again, is so I can haul the kids when needed. Had 3 of them a week ago but can haul 5 since my granddaughter found the middle seat belt I'd been searching for.

Gas costs are still only a small portion of the real cost of driving, including depreciation, insurance, taxes, tires, upkeep, damages, etc. - but some of those you're going to endure anyway just to have available transportation in the garage.

For me, I will definitely drive the hybrid Camry to Florida, instead of my truck. 1700 one way.

Our boat is pretty fuel efficient. Same with friends boat. Traveling that could be a issue, but our next trip is to Kona where we plan to shore dive.

You are very fortunate, Peter, to have your diving so little impacted. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom