Fuel Cost on the Rise, So What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, I will definitely drive the hybrid Camry to Florida, instead of my truck. 1700 one way.
OMG girl, the planes still fly there. :eek:

jax living by the sea was my objective when I spent more time going to dive sites, the boat launch, it was time and fuel.

I use about 100 gals a fuel in dive boats and compressor a year, and maybe 100 gals in truck. That is $800 about a year, for around 250 hours underwater. that is $3.15 a dive and add filters and oil for compressor, were running at $4.00 an hour, even with spark plugs, lower unit oil, oil and bearing grease. lets go all out and say $4.50 an hour.

Of course jax I also at grocery store prices legally collect seafood of around $5,000 a year so I am at a profit, and feed many neighbors at clubhouse cook outs.

And yes travel diving is always expensive, If i did not have to decide how much savings to spend I would travel all the time.

You are very fortunate, Peter, to have your diving so little impacted. :thumb:
I don't know about that. There are going to be major changes in our lives as all prices rise. We are lucky in that we are able to live so cost effectively (Read low carbon footprint). Right now I am more worried about the electricity bill jumping when they put a modern meter in removing the worn out one from 1973. Cost of living is going up rapidly.

We are fortunate since our diving generally takes place within 45 miles of home (Not close, but not far either). Sometimes we camp out on the coast, leaving city life behind, especially since it is so beautiful. Trips to Monterey cost more since it is 170 miles one way, plus we usually spend the night at a hotel.

Changes will come in lots of forms. Today more and more people are buying from places like Amazon. Even with a higher shipping cost it is still much cheaper than many local stores, plus there is no gas bill for driving to the store. Once they start taxing Amazon, it is still going to be cheaper. I am not talking about LDS vs online, I am talking about dang near every store vs online. There will be major adaptations and changes as the newer generations replace the older generations that refuse electronic devices.

One of the guest speakers at this mornings financial meeting for Sonoma County was the California State Controller. About two minutes into his speech he brought up Syria and Iran and how globally we are seeing rising gas prices, and how much he thinks it will effect the average family, going from $4.00 a gallon to $5.00 a gallon. At least politicians realize it will affect the average citizen.

So many people fail to realize that our entire economy is based on the availability of fuel. The cheaper the fuel the less costs involved to move products across this country. You cut off the fuel supply and things go bad very quickly.
I spent 41 days patrolling in New Orleans during Katrina. The state brought in fuel tanks to keep things moving because there was no electricity to run the gas stations.

We have two Jetta diesels that get 44 MPG driving interstate speeds. And my 1992 GMC pickup gets about 24 with a V-6 and automatic.

I am all for newer, faster, better ideas. Wind, solar, natural gas and propane. But one of the simpliest things we could do is open up more drilling. Last time I checked if you have more product than the market can consume the price drops. The oil and gas industry is one of the most heavily regulated industries in this country.

I know that China and India are booming right now and much of the oil companies can get more money for their products overseas than here. I'm all for capitalism.

We own a home in Cozumel, MX and electricity is about three times the costs as it is in the states so I wouldn't mind having some solar panels and a vertial wind turbine. Would love to see that electric meter turn backwards.

From a diving standpoint we won't be making trips to panhandle of Florida for dive certs. Nine hours vs. three to the quarry over in east Texas. And don't even talk about the increasing cost of plane tickets. Those are going to be out of sight pretty quickly.

But one of the simpliest things we could do is open up more drilling.
Couldn't that just be considered a crutch to something that should be addressed in other forms? What about environmental impact? Remember the Gulf spill not long ago? How about the Exxon Valdez spill that is still affecting the environment? "Not in my backyard!" I don't want to drive out to our beautiful wild coast and see a bunch of lit up ugly oil rigs, because someone thinks they NEED their Hummer. Drive a small car like most every European.

We need to stop being dependent on foreign oil imports, and I bet most everyone will agree with that statement. One of the best ways would be to cut our oil usage, which is done by getting rid of gas guzzlers. People aren't going to do that until they are forced to do so. That is accomplished by prices rising well over $5.00 a gallon. The planet needs that to happen.

Last time I checked if you have more product than the market can consume the price drops.
Funny! Go read about how much processed gasoline we export without tariffs. They make way more gasoline then we need, yet they talk about shortages. China buys anything we are willing to ship, as do many other countries, and they are willing to pay more than us. It truely is a global economy.

From one source: InflationData: Gasoline Inflation

Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price_med.jpg

The average age of vehicles in the USA is almost 11 yrs old, an all time high! The average American family is in must too weakened a financial state to upgrade to a new vehicle! Peter, I'm not sure I agree with your 'let them eat cake' approach, that $5.00/gal + fuel will be theraputic for us, I suspect you are in a MUCH higher than average income bracket to be making such statements. I'd advocate a much more progressive tax code and a reduction/elimination of fuel taxes to help out the average Joe.

Back
Top Bottom