Ft. Pickens Dive Report: 10-2-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Met up with Firetech, S&V, and Osterboot74 at Ft. Pickens today (10-2-09) and had two good dives. The skies were overcast and the top layer of water looked a bit tannic so I decided to judge the visibility on the first dive to see if it was worth bringing my camera along for the second, big mistake!! We got into the water and I could definitely tell that the recent cold weather was starting to affect the water temps. I haven’t downloaded my computer yet, but I believe the surface water temps were 77*. Once we got down to 6 fsw we hit the warm thermocline of gulf water that brought the water temps up to 82* and the visibility to easily 30-35 ft. While at the “organ” I could clearly see the rubble beyond the culvert/tank and see over to the concrete reef pyramid and structure behind it. I was cussing through my reg that I left my camera in the truck. ******New law of diving: Never leave camera in truck for any reason :no:******. We saw a couple stingrays, an octopus, torpedo ray, tons of slippery dicks, arrow crabs, and the usual assortment of marine life that make this site home. Oysterboot74 had unfortunately forgotten his mask and had to make a quick run down to one of the beach stores and picked up a high speed US Divers mask :cool2:. Luckily he was able to get back on site and meet up with us styling in his new mask on the last bit of our first dive lasting 70 minutes. One of the three highlights for me during the dive was the absolutely massive bait ball that stayed above and sometimes around us during the dive, it was very cool. The second highlight was finding my first stargazer, it was really cool until I again realized that I left my camera in my truck :puppy:(see new rule of diving). The third highlight was finding a freaking huge flounder in the main rock pile area. I tried to scare him and get to take off from his spot, but he actually let me touch him. Since it was staying so still I took a measurement with my arm. He measured almost the entire length of my arm!!!! I definitely wish spearfishing was allowed at Ft. Pickens.

After and hour surface interval we splashed in for our second dive. The current was slowly starting to pick up and the viz went down to 15 feet. We made another 70 minute dive. Everything was about the same except this time I didn’t forget my new rule for diving and brought the stupid camera along with me. I had a good time and it was good diving with S&V, Osyterboot74, and Firetech. Hopefully we can do this again soon . Here are a few pics I took during the second dive :uwphotographer::

013_edit.jpg

008_edit.jpg

006_edit.jpg

047_edit.jpg

040_edit.jpg

035_edit.jpg

029_edit.jpg

Great report and Real nice shots. The culvert picture tells the story of the viz. Wow! Sorry I missed it!

Thanks for posting the photos! A very enjoyable couple of dives... Ft Pickens is a great shore dive when the current and viz cooperate.

Awesome pics WJEFFRIS. Almost as good as being there. :no: I really enjoyed the dives and the company. I'll post pictures of my fine, spanking new, high speed US Divers mask if ya'll want. I was proud to have it. lol. As a result, I've compiled a stash of spare diving equipment under the front seats of my truck. :crafty:

I still want to make this dive @ night sometime soon. However, this coming weekend, weather permitting, Brandy and I will be at Vortoberfest. We are going to pull the boat over there if conditions cooperate as an extra option for dives on Saturday and Sunday. Being so close, I sure would like to give the park in PC a shot. However, still not sure my attention span and the tide times will meet in the middle :D>

Nice pics, I will take note of the new rule of diving. haha!

I would hate to forget my mask since I have prescription lenses. I wouldnt get to see the dive!

Very nice photos. Too bad you didn't bring your camera on the first dive. I decided long ago to always bring my camera along. However, this is easy for me since I don't use a strobe for my shallow water snorkeling pics.

Great report and Real nice shots. The culvert picture tells the story of the viz. Wow! Sorry I missed it!

I just wish I could have taken that same picture during the first dive. The visibility would have blown you away.

Thanks for the report, I always like finding stargazers. Something about glaring eyes and a huge mouth full of teeth visible in the sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom