Ft. Lauderdale in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbborromeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for a weekend in early December and was contemplating some diving. What is the weather and diving conditions in early December? Any recommendations for a short weekend of diving? Do you know of any small dive operators that get high marks for service or ones I should steer clear of?

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to some of the best diving in the world!

Fort Lauderdale area boats.

We also have an active group of beach divers so just look at our Trips and Local Marketplace section a week or two before you arrive to see who is meeting up where.

The weather is totally unpredictable here in winter. It could be Chamber of Commerce perfect or it could totally suck. Hope for the best and come anyway.

No matter what, it will be 100x nicer than New York in December!! :14:

Welcome to Ft. Lauderdale. I live here and use Capt. Leo at www.deeper-dci.com 888 340 3483. He is very safety conscious and I believe the reefs are a bit healthier just north of Boca than in Ft.Lauderdale so I drive the extra 20 minutes to dive with him. $63/trip

I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for a weekend in early December and was contemplating some diving. What is the weather and diving conditions in early December? Any recommendations for a short weekend of diving? Do you know of any small dive operators that get high marks for service or ones I should steer clear of?

Thanks for the advice!

Three six-pack boats running from Pompano (near Fort Lauderdale) are Avid Diver, Miss Conduct, and Under Pressure. All three will treat you well.

Lauderdale by the sea - east down commercial drive - has some of the best shore diving in the U.S. (I haven't done every shore dive in the U.S. but that's what I've read and heard, I really like this dive). I've seen all sorts of things there lots of cool octopus, sea turtles, eels, etc.
I've seen some sort of shark there about 90 out of every 100 dives!! Even a huge hammer head (maybe 10 feet) that came within 6 inches of my mask one night in low vis water. I instinctively punched at it cuz it was moving so fast right at me. My dive buddy thought I was crazy. When it turned and swam away all of a sudden, you could hear it's tail move through the water with a kinda pop - and it was gone - but I was still on the lookout for the rest of the dive. Looking up, down, around, back, side to side. A lot of fun that dive. I have actually heard that a record (for FL.) sized hammer was actually caught off that jetty. Something like 14'. But I've never confirmed it personally.
There are some other really good shore dives in that area. Actually I can (probably you too) swim out to most of the places that most dive boats take you to in that area. It's usually only about a mile out to the third reef ledge, which is where most dive boats go.

Come to think of it my dive buddy (who is ex-SF), hasn't dove since that shark incident. I know he was a little shook up at the time, as we both were, but I wonder if that scared him away from diving. hmmm. probably not though?

Thanks to all for the tips; you've made it an easy decision!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom