Ft Lauderdale dive report off the Pro Diver II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today proved to be another glorious day in South Florida for diving. I went back down to my little nesting box ,aka Pro Dive, to finish up my EANx Instructor class. It was so great seeing all my friends again. The morning started out with all of us doing our presentation in front of Richard Hartley (The Commander) and Vivian. I forgot what it was like to be graded on presentations, a bit nerve wrecking , but I managed a 4.8 (5 is the highest score).

We all met down at the boat around noon thirty and headed out to sea only to find the most perfect conditions. Flat seas, blue water WooHooo!

Our first dive site was Hammerhead reef. A very nice reef with deep ledges, depths around 90 feet, viz right around 50feet, 73 degrees with almost no current. Captain Stu set us up brilliantly and we all left the dive platform. Right as I started to descend, my mask starts to fill up uncontrollably with water. I tried to clear it, then noticed it was actually just broken. Captain Stu came back around with the Pro Diver II where Miss Laura threw me down one of their spare masks so I could do my dive, Kudos’ Pro Dive for saving my butt and letting me continue on with the dive. The dive was awesome!!! A bit cold, but with my new 5/3mm wet suit I got from my good buddy for Christmas (Thank you again Shane!), I was able to stay about 40 minutes.

Next site was Barracuda Reef. I love this site! Its shallow and so full of life. I even saw a hogfish waiting to be someones yummy dinner. I kinda wussed out and only stayed about 25 minutes before calling the dive, I was just waaaay to cold. I hated that I short changed my dive buddy (hubby) but he didn’t seem to mind.

The boat ride back in was nice. We all just sat up top chatting. It felt soo good to be back in the company of the people who left their imprints on me, I didn’t realize just how much I missed everyone.

I guess I need to throw the spare mask into the kit. So that is in order, broken mask during a dive trip that I persoally know of. Darrel at Ginnie Springs, Kim at Jupiter, Steve at Juipter, and now you at FortLAud.. hmm i think that karma is gonna git me soon.

A couple of weekends ago, I sat through and assisted in an equipment specialty class. The instructor, Schott, commented about keeping the mask in a box. In the back of my mind... 26+ years of diving... and I always threw my mask in the bottom of my bag... Not once did my mask break.

Guess what? I put my mask in a box, because I know that whenever I go against what Schott says... I have to lower my head and say... "You told me so..."

Have a great New Year!!! Glad to hear you're an EANx instructor, now...

Al

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom