Ft. Jefferson dive vs Snorkeling and time ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After some diving in the upper Keys, I have to spend SOME time with my non-diving wife. We have always wanted to go to Ft. Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas and thus I have a few questions.

Is it worth the hassle and expense to dive there, or is the snorkeling a pretty good return on investment? What are the dives like if you go that route?

By plane the time at the fort is 2.5 or 6.5 hours and a 40 minute flight. By boat, it is 2 hours to get there, 4.5 at the fort, and another two back. I would rather fly, but is 2.5 hours enough time to sightsee and snorkel?

Well if you fly, you can't really dive. (in theory)

There aren't really any regular dive boats out to there either. Only a couple liveaboards. The playmate and ultimate getaway. Otherwise you have to arrange your own charter.

Of course the tourist boat trip goes over, but if you took your dive gear/tanks, you'd have to shore dive once you got there.

If you are worried about time, you can camp there. That would give you more time there. But you have to take your own gear and your own water as there is no freshwater available. Check the National Park service site for the Dry Tortugas for camping info. I'm assuming that you could take the tourist boat one day and return another day, but you'd need to check on that also.

Thanks Mike. I thought about camping. Maybe next time when I am not already paying holiday prices for the hotel. I wouldn't dive and fly anyway. I am probably trying to fit in too much, and should just plan another visit. My real questions are:

1. Is it worth shore diving from the fort or do you get almost as much out of a snorkel adventure?

2. If you want to tour and snorkel, is the 2.5 hours of fort time enough?

Puck:
Thanks Mike. I thought about camping. Maybe next time when I am not already paying holiday prices for the hotel. I wouldn't dive and fly anyway. I am probably trying to fit in too much, and should just plan another visit. My real questions are:

1. Is it worth shore diving from the fort or do you get almost as much out of a snorkel adventure?

2. If you want to tour and snorkel, is the 2.5 hours of fort time enough?

If I'm going "all that way" to the Tortugas, then 2.5 hours is not enough time for me to visit the Tortugas at all. The flying trip is kinda $$$ also.

For what you pay for hotel in Key West and diving for 4 days, I'd just get on the Ultimate Getaway for 4 days and dive from there. They do a couple hour stop at Ft Jefferson so you can tour (or snorkle) while on the trip. Of course you don't get to see Key West this way, but in my opinion the diving in Key West isn't the "best" of the keys anyway.

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom