Frozen inflator hose elbow nut -- how to loosen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
On a whim I won an old SeaQuest wing on ebay that apparently fits between the tank anda an old hard pack. So far it's holding air, but I'd like to take the inflator hose off and rotate the elbow to better position it and maybe check the condition of the O-ring. The large nut that holds the elbow on is either impossibly tight or frozen.

a) Any tricks to getting it off? I'm scared to put too much force on it.

b) Assuming I can get it off -- any tricks on re-assembly to keep it from happening again?

Just to make it more fun, the scubapro BC elbow connection is designed where you have to turn it clockwise to loosen and counterclockwise to tighten. You might want to take a closer look at yours.

Would Seaquest have used Scubapro parts?

So, anybody got any tricks for loosening the blasted thing?

Did you try hot water.

No special tricks, just hot water, agitating it around a few times as the hot water works its magic and some patience. You may also want to try and fill it with a little bit of the water through the inflator to work at it from the inside as well.

Got busy on other things so left the BC alone for a few days. Came back today and the nut loosened pretty as you please by hand. Thanks to all who responded!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom