Front Zip VS Back Zip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to let everyone know we are talking about WETSUITS here not drysuits.

I find the front vertical zipper to be nice in warmer waters, I can unzip a bit to cool off if I am overheating. Also I can make sure the flap used to reduce water infiltration is set right.

The horizontal zipper on the SolAfx is needed because it has an integrated hood. This makes donning the suit easy (no tucking in the hood, which is tough to do on your own) and is slightly warmer. It also makes wiggling out of the wet suit a bit more of a production (getting in is not an issue). Its probably only possible because the neoprene is very stretchy in this suit. The other plus is your not stressing the zipper as much is you are rotund.

I believe a front zip w/ a two way zipper, so you can make use of it when nature calls.

If we are talking WS (where the post above seems to be discussing a DS), I have had both front and back. For me, the back zip is my preference. I did add gussetted arm zippers to this suit, and man does that too make a big difference. Dressing is easiest for me in the back zip, and I feel the closure is better (less leakage) with the back zip.

I was convinced otherwise, but the folks at Wetwear really drove home the benefits of a back zip. I listened, and couldn't agree more.

As above, the whole bathroom thing does become a tad bit more of a challenge.....

I have 3mm and 5mm back zip, used to own a 7mm shoulder-shoulder front zip (before switching to dry) and have used diagonal front zip farmer john style 7mm.

I did not like the shoulder-shoulder zip, found it very difficult to get in and out of.

The back zip suits I find are the easiest to get in and out of, but this might be because 5mm suits are probably easier than 7mm suits regardless of where the zipper is. One thing that has always bugged me about the rear zip is having that flippin' strap flopping around during the dive (the strap that allows you to self don)

I think the diagonal front zip 7mm was a close second, and might even be the easiest, if my back zip suits were 7mm.

If you solo dive, which I do, then having a front entry is essential. If you're not around others to help, then go front entry, IMO. I've been using one for at least 10 years and never had an issue. The zippers will need to be replaced every so often, front or rear entry, but that's about it. I have a DUI, and it has a fabric cover that protects the zipper from whatever you rub up against.

Front zippers are much, much better, especially if you are diving solo, as Bill Riply points out above. They are infinitely more convenient, and their only drawback is their limited availability, for obscure reasons that I suspect have more to do with the needs of manufacturers than the needs of consumers. At one time all wet suits were front zipper designs, and I don't remember any serious complaints. As far as ease of getting in and out of them, any properly fitted wet suit is somewhat difficult to get off unless you use your brain and wear a simple inexpensive lycra skin underneath. Twisting around to reach that dog leash is bothersome and the leash itself can present problems.

Front zip all the way. I use nothing else. The back zips I was foolish enough to try were donated to the local union of contortionist masochists.

If you solo dive, which I do, then having a front entry is essential. If you're not around others to help, then go front entry, IMO. I've been using one for at least 10 years and never had an issue. The zippers will need to be replaced every so often, front or rear entry, but that's about it. I have a DUI, and it has a fabric cover that protects the zipper from whatever you rub up against.

Sorry all, I missed the "wetsuits" part.

Sorry all, I missed the "wetsuits" part.

You are not the only one. I have a feeling a lot of folks are arguing back and forth without realizing that one person is talking about wetsuit while the other is talking about drysuits :D ... Happens.

My first wetsuit was front zip. I almost had to wear it home from it's first solo dive.

Besides donning and doffing there is also the issue of thermal protection. My front zip let cold water enter the neck every time I looked up. While I would hope somebody has a front zip design with a good neck seal; good sealing back zips are common.

BTW, my original fron zip is badly faded but still going strong. It was a 3mm farmer john so I cut off the arms and use it as a shorty when I just need a little extra protection (or buoyancy).

While I would hope somebody has a front zip design with a good neck seal

Look at the SolAfx, it uses a bib under the front shoulder to shoulder zipper. It seals the zipper good and since the hood is integrated into the suit, there is now leakages from looking up.
The suit material is super stretchy, thus it fits well, but crushes more at depth rendering it less than ideal for deep cold dives (the down side).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom