Front Zip VS Back Zip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I have never used a front entry wetsuit and before I invest in a custom suit with front zipper, I just wanted to ask folks what has been their experience with front zippers? It appears that front entry would be an easier wetsuit to put on so why do most wetsuits come in rear entry? Can anyone explain please?

Thanks.

They can be hell to get out of. Somewhere here you can find an old thread of someone that tried one on at home and needed to seek a neighbors assistance.

Clarification: referencing wetsuits

Last edited:
For many other sports besides diving having the zipper in the front could be bad news. Say you are a surfer, at some points you lay flat on your board. I am guessing a hard zipper down your body pressed against you does not feel good. Then there is the fact that zipper is hitting your board too.

Of course if it zips all the way up the zipper is right in your "throat".

I am sure there are more but those are the couple I can think of at the moment.

I have both. I don't have entry or exit issues with either. The front entry is much easier to take a whiz ( assuming you don't pee in your suits). Other than that I personally don't care. Wouldn't go out of my way for one over the other.

Ifind it easier to take off a rear zipper because i can grab the shoulders and pull till my arms are extended in front of me. I can not dothe same thing to get a front zip off. However i do use a front zip shortie but the zipper runs from neck all the way to the leg and leaves an open leg when unzipped. that allows me to raemove it ilke a jacket or coat. I cant envision trying to remove a full suit with a front zip. Im not that flexible.

Hello:

I have never used a front entry wetsuit and before I invest in a custom suit with front zipper, I just wanted to ask folks what has been their experience with front zippers? It appears that front entry would be an easier wetsuit to put on so why do most wetsuits come in rear entry? Can anyone explain please?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that a front entry would be better cus the ones I've tried have been harder to get into then rear entry.

The problem with some wetsuits is it's hard to put on the sleeves and I was having a very hard time trying to squeeze into the suit with my arms behind my back.

Are you talking about front zip as in a zipper like the Aqualung Solafx has on it that stretches from shoulder to shoulder across the front of you or a traditional front zip like the farmer john suits have?

Are you talking about front zip as in a zipper like the Aqualung Solafx has on it that stretches from shoulder to shoulder across the front of you or a traditional front zip like the farmer john suits have?

Traditional Zipper.

If you solo dive, which I do, then having a front entry is essential. If you're not around others to help, then go front entry, IMO. I've been using one for at least 10 years and never had an issue. The zippers will need to be replaced every so often, front or rear entry, but that's about it. I have a DUI, and it has a fabric cover that protects the zipper from whatever you rub up against.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom