From Jet fins to Force fins, my review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody, Ive been a long time lurker on this site and I figure it's time for me to give back a little. The following is a very unscientific comparison of jet fins, original force fins, and non-tan delta extra force fins.

I used to be one of those people that refused to use anything other than jet fins. I would try out different buddies' fins and I always came to the same conclusion, Jet fins are so much better. For example, I tried out a pair of $200+ split fins and hated them! Jet fins allowed me to do any kind of kick I wanted and have tons of power when I needed it. Then, sadly, on a night dive gone wrong the ocean claimed one of my beloved jet fins. Rather than buy a new pair of jet fins right away I figured I would take this opportunity and give force fins a try.

The first pair of force fins I bought were a second hand pair of original force fins. First impressions were, "Wow these things are small!", and "These feel like wet noodles!". But then I tried them out in the water and.... WOW! These fins provide so much more power than a split fin with far less effort. It really does feel like you are wearing nothing at all. It takes a second for speed to build up but once you get going, THESE THINGS FLY!:D The only negative I really found was their inability to perform a really strong frog kick, but this was to be expected. I thought I had found the ultimate pair of fins until... I found the extra force!

I picked up a pair of extra force fins in the regular black material on the recommendation of some articles I had read. I figured, if the original force fins were so amazing, the "improved" version must be even better. AND THEY ARE! These fins aren't anything like the original force fins except in certain areas like the foot pocket and basic shape. These fins a much heavier and sturdier. When flutter kicking you can really feel these fins working. Because of their stiffness you do not have the initial lag I found with the originals. As soon as you start kicking you start shooting through the water. And best of all, they frog kick! After a few dives getting used to these fins I have found that I can frog kick just as well as I could with jet fins with the advantage of having fins which feel much smaller than jet fins.

I am so happy with my force fins and cant wait to try other models. I really did not expect force fins to be such a big difference but they really are. Force fins are not a gimmick, they really work. I look forward to trying out the new hockey fins, they seem to be even more what I am looking for. I just have to save up for those puppies. I hope this information is helpful to people and if you have any questions please let me know.

Jet Fins
Pros: Bulletproof, great power, can do any kind of kick you want
Cons: HEAVY! These require a bit of leg strength
Best uses: Obviously tech diving, cave, and wreck

Original Force Fins
Pros: Effortless kicks, great speed and power, very light weight and small
Cons: Dont bother with frog kick, takes a few kicks to get going (lag)
Best uses: Open water diving, snorkeling

Extra Force Fins
Pros: Very powerful!, sturdy, great response with frog kick, back fining, and helo turns
Cons: Heavy, requires a lot of leg strength, may be a little too much fin for regular dives
Best uses: Same situations as jet fins and more

Thanks Bob for inventing such amazing fins!
-Mike

thanks for taking the time to really try them out and thanks for the great write up, we all appreciate it.

Mike808, your fin testing put a smile back on my face. After seeing several dozen divers using Jet Fins this weekend at Catalina Island, I felt some what lost...like we were moving into the dark ages. I am sorry, the vents do not help performance, and a heavy fin hanging off the end of your foot is a set up for cramps. I wish more divers took the time like you did to feel the difference. I dove the Jet Fin for over 20 years, starting in the 1960's, that's why I stopped to make a better and smarter fin. Thanks for giving me hope that years of hard work will pay off in the long run. Best, Bob

Thank YOU Bob for doing such a fantastic job. I tried out a pair of jet fins the other night and it really is like hanging two planks of wood off the end of each foot. Your foot pocket is pure genius. It's so comfortable and incredibly versatile. If it's too big... add insteps, and then it fits and is even more comfortable. The analogy of the tire is a very good example too. Many people I dive with have no problem dropping $1000+ for a regulator or a dive computer but when it comes to the tool they use to MOVE underwater, they play it cheap. I know its something said quite often on this site but it's so true, force fins may not be cheap, but they are worth it! Save up, dont buy that Titanium Carbon gizmo, and invest in a solid pair of fins.

Also, to anybody who thinks I am badmouthing jet fins, I actually still love jet fins and Im sure Ill pick up a old pair sooner or later. They are and will always be some of my favorite fins. Jet fins have worked very well for me but my Extra Forces work even better! If you are happy with your jet fins, as I was, then stick with them. Im just trying to tell jet fin users that THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES!

-Mike

Just something to keep in mind. Bob Evans has spent much of his life making the best products he can. If you disagree, you could at least have some respect for the man's life work. Try going into a nice French restaurant and telling the chef that his food is overpriced compared to McDonalds. The first time a customer tells him, maybe he will just brush it off, but after the 10,000th time, its gonna get a little frustrating. Force fins are an attempt to raise the bar in the world of fin design. They may be expensive, they may be funny looking, but they work very well.

Mike808, I go crazy over the cost issue. My assistant heard me running the mast and stated people don't understand how much work goes into one pair of Force Fins. Our Poly-Urethane cost have climbed over the past years. But nothing does the job like this expensive material. I still think the Jet Fin works better than most newer fin models. Enjoy that French Meal.

Whoa...yank the fin out of your butt. I was making a joke. If you're pitching a product you might want to rein in your temper a bit

If you are making a joke - use a "smiley" to show it. :mooner::mooner:

I am not pitching a product - I have no financial interest in Force Fin.

All I am interested in is identifying a vastly superior product. I personally feel it is hard to get real value - most fins on the market are way overpriced for what they deliver. I am not into gimmicks - I want REAL value for my $$$ - so when someone mouths off about price and has no idea about the product (this or any other one) it tends to set me off.

So hopefully I have now inserted my fin into the proper butt (foot attached). :wink::wink:

Anyways... Would you guys say the hockey force is THAT much better at the frog kick than the extra force? Also, is the surf rescue force too small for scuba or is it a viable alternative to the hockey force?

Anyways... Would you guys say the hockey force is THAT much better at the frog kick than the extra force? Also, is the surf rescue force too small for scuba or is it a viable alternative to the hockey force?

I don't think the Hockey frog kicks that much better than the Extra - but because of the ribs and shape it is better. The Mod0's actually frog kicked better than my Jets but never caused any leg cramping. Read my review of the Hockey Fins and you will get an idea how the perform and why I worked with Bob on making some mods for my new Yellow Hockeys.

I don't think the surf fins would be good for scuba. Messier42 is really the best source of info on this fin.

The surf rescue fin is the fastest accelerating fin that I have ever used, not the fastest top speed. In a 12.5 meter sprint I haven't found anything that will keep up with them, but by the 25 meter point the Hockey Force and the Excellerator and a limited handful of other have caught up or passed them. But I mostly use them for Underwater Hockey, not for scuba, speed and drag are quite different. They are best used for very high rate kicks, sure they'll still keep up with any Mares or Split fin at normal kick rates, but they this only come in size Large, which good for barefoot but that's it. I've been trying to convince Bob to start making me a ML size to get more Hockey guys in the fin, but the tough times are keeping that from happening for now. But I shouldn't complain, he already made the Mod_0 and Mod_1 (Final version) Hockey Fin and the Surf Rescue for me and I am still amazed and grateful for that much.

Back
Top Bottom