From Jet fins to Force fins, my review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks TN and meesier. I think im going to stick with the extras for now. Hockey fin seems like the next step for me but Im not sure its worth the upgrade right now. The surf rescue seem like they may be nice for travel or some of the wreck dives out here.

All this help and advice is one of the main reasons I decided to try force fins. You guys are all very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. The same cant be said of other sections on this forum. :shakehead:

I think that most of those of us that post on the Force Fin Forum are just trying to pass on our knowledge. Bob makes some very unique products and most of us use several - the right tool for the job. Offering different materials and designs cannot be done cheaply and the materials used can make a big difference in fin performance. That ability to tailor the fin to the dive conditions is one of the reasons many of us own several models. And the nicest thing about this group is they will help you determine the right fin for the conditions you want to use them in.

The more information you provide us with in regard to the type of dives you are doing, the better the answers you will get. For example for traveling to the Keys where dives are shallow and conditions usually benign, a simple pair of Originals or Pros are ideal - now heading for Cozumel where strong currents are likely, the Hockeys, Extras (if you have the leg strength), Excellerators or Flying Force Fins would be better choices.

My personal opinion is that the Hockey Fin is the closest to an all around fin - but the Mod0s took a lot of effort - hence Bob's modification of both material and thickness which hopefully should make them my perfect fin. But that does not mean my only fin - I will probably still use the Originals for quick trips to the Keys since they are light and easy to pack

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread cleaned.
Please stay on topic. Thanks!

Hi everybody, Ive been a long time lurker on this site and I figure it's time for me to give back a little. The following is a very unscientific comparison of jet fins, original force fins, and non-tan delta extra force fins.

I used to be one of those people that refused to use anything other than jet fins. I would try out different buddies' fins and I always came to the same conclusion, Jet fins are so much better. For example, I tried out a pair of $200+ split fins and hated them! Jet fins allowed me to do any kind of kick I wanted and have tons of power when I needed it. Then, sadly, on a night dive gone wrong the ocean claimed one of my beloved jet fins. Rather than buy a new pair of jet fins right away I figured I would take this opportunity and give force fins a try.

The first pair of force fins I bought were a second hand pair of original force fins. First impressions were, "Wow these things are small!", and "These feel like wet noodles!". But then I tried them out in the water and.... WOW! These fins provide so much more power than a split fin with far less effort. It really does feel like you are wearing nothing at all. It takes a second for speed to build up but once you get going, THESE THINGS FLY!:D The only negative I really found was their inability to perform a really strong frog kick, but this was to be expected. I thought I had found the ultimate pair of fins until... I found the extra force!

I picked up a pair of extra force fins in the regular black material on the recommendation of some articles I had read. I figured, if the original force fins were so amazing, the "improved" version must be even better. AND THEY ARE! These fins aren't anything like the original force fins except in certain areas like the foot pocket and basic shape. These fins a much heavier and sturdier. When flutter kicking you can really feel these fins working. Because of their stiffness you do not have the initial lag I found with the originals. As soon as you start kicking you start shooting through the water. And best of all, they frog kick! After a few dives getting used to these fins I have found that I can frog kick just as well as I could with jet fins with the advantage of having fins which feel much smaller than jet fins.

I am so happy with my force fins and cant wait to try other models. I really did not expect force fins to be such a big difference but they really are. Force fins are not a gimmick, they really work. I look forward to trying out the new hockey fins, they seem to be even more what I am looking for. I just have to save up for those puppies. I hope this information is helpful to people and if you have any questions please let me know.

Jet Fins
Pros: Bulletproof, great power, can do any kind of kick you want
Cons: HEAVY! These require a bit of leg strength
Best uses: Obviously tech diving, cave, and wreck

Original Force Fins
Pros: Effortless kicks, great speed and power, very light weight and small
Cons: Dont bother with frog kick, takes a few kicks to get going (lag)
Best uses: Open water diving, snorkeling

Extra Force Fins
Pros: Very powerful!, sturdy, great response with frog kick, back fining, and helo turns
Cons: Heavy, requires a lot of leg strength, may be a little too much fin for regular dives
Best uses: Same situations as jet fins and more

Thanks Bob for inventing such amazing fins!
-Mike

Mike thanks again for your post!

Back
Top Bottom