Friday's (3/5) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Kayak drift dive at 65 feet, patch reefs, South Maui

Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby
030504a.jpg

Manual Mode, F6.3, 1/80, external strobe

Redbanded Hawkfish
030504b.jpg

Manual Mode, F6.3, 1/80, external strobe

Both are beautiful. Question...how big is the Hawkfish? The Spotted Hawkfish I see are about 3-4" long. For some reason I get the feeling this one is larger.

This one is 3" to 4" also. Cropping the photo likely makes it look larger.
I know you are not a fan of cropping the photos but I find if I don't it is too hard to see any detail on the specimen.
It's hard to get close to these fish as they usually bolt just before I can get a shot off.

would you look at these pictures!!! Even the shadow is crisp. Well done!
Is the water clear out your way? We have lots of sewage spills....no fun
Aloha, Lisa

Thanks, and yes the water is clear. The vis was 100 feet plus today.
We don't have those sewage spill problems, yet.
Wait till Maui's population gets bigger.
One of the advantages of a small island in the middle of nowhere is the ocean currents pretty much handle everything. Not to say that makes the spills okay.

G, you continue to amaze. The shots just jump right out at you. I have got to move to Hawaii. Our best vis is about 30'. :frown2:

Thanks for sharing.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

Gilligan:
I know you are not a fan of cropping the photos but I find if I don't it is too hard to see any detail on the specimen.
It's hard to get close to these fish as they usually bolt just before I can get a shot off.

I'm not unilaterally opposed to cropping as long as it's done tastefully and realistically, which you do very well. You keep the composition and perspective of your photos, you don't crop to see how close you can get. Whatever you do, with results like these, I'm all for it!

Some of the cropping we've seen used as a shortcut to buying lenses made for macro purposes is what I'm really opposed to, and those look like it.

One thing our Hawkfish have in common is their tendacy to high-tail it away from at the first chance.

Here's a very out of focus shot from last year. It's the only Spotted Hawkfish I have so I'll keep it until I get a better one. I also missed the 2/3 rule in the composition. :frown2:

abe.sized.jpg

Cool shot. Too bad it's out of focus.
Hawkfish are a very colorful and detailed fish.
We have about five different types here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom