Fresh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Dude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was curious if anyone has ever dove any major river systems up here? I've dived on the Smith, Klamath, Trinity, Mad and assorted creeks around Humboldt/Del Norte. I've either been doing work-related surveys or trying to get good photos of white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. ANYWAY, does anybody have any stories? Spots? Reccomendations?

I know some fisheries biologists who worked in the Humboldt area who conducted river surveys on Salmon. Would be glad to put you in touch if you wish. But you may find more updated information at Humboldt State University through either the Scientific Diving Program or through the Fisheries Biology department. Feel free to PM me if you'd like contacts.

Thanks for the offer...but I'm at HSU already, I am a fisheries graduate, I got the scientific diving minor AND I've worked as a hachery manager and fish tech doing dive surveys up here. I appreciate your offer...I sincerely do, I know I'm sounding condescending but I swear I'm not trying to be disrespectful. But you ever do any fresh diving? I would love to hear your experiences.

LOL! Not condescending, a funny coincidence. I was at HSU for 3 years and knew some fisheries grads but they did snorkel surveys ;-).

I'm a grad at SFSU now. It's not the same, I miss Arcata!

Good luck with your research.

I was curious if anyone has ever dove any major river systems up here? I've dived on the Smith, Klamath, Trinity, Mad and assorted creeks around Humboldt/Del Norte. I've either been doing work-related surveys or trying to get good photos of white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. ANYWAY, does anybody have any stories? Spots? Reccomendations?

It sounds like you might be the one to tell us stories....

Oh and I would love to see some sturgeon pics... We saw one once in Carmel bay and had a hard time believing what we saw... Awesome fish... I would make a roadtrip up north to dive a river if I knew where I could find them.

Are they easily spooked by bubble sounds/divers? Please tell us more.

Last edited:
It sounds like you might be the one to tell us stories....

Oh and I would love to see some sturgeon pics... We saw one once in Carmel bay and had a hard time believing what we saw... Awesome fish... I would make a roadtrip up north to dive a river if I knew where I could find them.

Are they easily spooked by bubble sounds/divers? Please tell us more.

That's awesome that you saw a sturgeon in the ocean! I would love to see one there, they are so rare that it's a blessing to see one! BTW the sturgeon I have found are super skiddish. I have been able to get close to maybe 3 or 4. I've seen them from 6 inches to a scary 8 ft.

So a couple of my relations in from Hupa were telling me about a river serpeant that lives up there on the river and this one hole where you're supposed to be able to find it. Since I'm also indian (ohlone-rumsen=from carmel) and daring I wanted to find it. I hopped in this hole and descended forever. I think the bottom was 65 ft. Anyway I was down there without a light because it was sunny and I didn't think it was too deep. I was down there looking around at all these caves in the wall and out popped a sturgeon, about 6 ft. It scared the hell outta me. I kept searching the bottom of this hole and I found 3 more. I cut the dive a little short because it was so creepy being surrounded by such big animals in close proximity. It was the most exciting and inspiring freshwater dive I've ever done! They are such magical beasts. It's cool to think they have been around since the dinosaurs and haven't changed much. Not to mention they look like dinosaurs. I was lucky to be there not only because I never found that river monster or I had special access to that part of the rez but because I found all those sturgeon. After that I decided to hunt for all the holes I could find sturgeon in. I've also done tons of salmon counts, a little boring by comparison. Many more dives, not enough time to tell those stories...

I went to HSU also :D On rafting trip on the Klamath we saw a couple of sturgeon down deep in a really clear pool. They must have been a good 6ft long - huge. I too would love to see any close-up photos.

(((kevin)))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom