Fresh and salty deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have looked trhough several decompression planners and quite liked the Baltic Deco Planner. Some reviews pointed out, that its settings does not include a choice between fresh and salt water dives. How significant is it? Does fw and sw make a notable difference regarding decompression plans?

I can't imagine that it would make all that much difference, but MultiDeco does have a setting for it.

Your depth gauge or computer can't tell the difference. All based on pressure, as is nitrogen uptake and off gassing.

Your depth gauge or computer can't tell the difference. All based on pressure, as is nitrogen uptake and off gassing.

Some dive computers allow for the user to enter a salinity setting. There is the EN13319 standard depth dimensions that all computers will observe and offer.

Having an adjustable salinity, keeps your depth reading consistent so that the dive sites underwater have the correct depth reading on the computer.

Fresh water planning is mainly for use with rivers and lakes, and they involve some elevation change, where the planning time differences do become more evident.

Some dive computers allow for the user to enter a salinity setting. There is the EN13319 standard depth dimensions that all computers will observe and offer.

Having an adjustable salinity, keeps your depth reading consistent so that the dive sites underwater have the correct depth reading on the computer.

Fresh water planning is mainly for use with rivers and lakes, and they involve some elevation change, where the planning time differences do become more evident.

How do you measure the salinity? Do I have to bring along a hydrometer, refractometer or whatever on every diving trip?
How about if I hit a thermocline under water for considerable lenght of time?

This subjct is not something to worry about, it is all a very minor effect, and of no consequence in calculating deco using a computer. As mentioned above, the computers measure pressure, and that is all that matters (except time, of course, and those few that want to know water temp as well). The only time the salinity comes into play is in the conversion from pressure to depth. Even then, salinity has a minor effect. Over the range from fresh water to the saltiest water, it is only a variation of a few percent in the pressure-depth equation...typically at most 3% in the ocean. It turns out that temperature has a much larger effect! Cold water is denser (heavier) than warm water, so other things being equal, warm salty water will float on cold, fresh water. The point is that sea water density is what is important, not salinity per se, and the density does not vary much. Fresh water has a density of 1 (gm per cubic centimeter) in contrast to about 1.025 at the ocean surface. Really salty, really cold water on the bottom of the ocean has a density of 1.05....only 5% heavier than freshwater. And much of that increased density is due to the weight of 600 atmospheres squeezing down the water....water is actually compressible and does so at the bottom of the ocean. Without the pressure effect, the water density at the bottom would less than 1.03.

So, over the range of locations (fresh to the Red Sea) and depths (less than 1000m) and temperatures (40C to -1C) in which we dive, salinity and temperature and depth only change the pressure-depth relationship at most 3%. And the computers do just fine working on just pressure. And that is why we call 1 atmosphere 33 feet in salt water and 34 feet in fesh water.....3% more.

Thus endeth Physical Oceanography 101. Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Is salinity stays constant the whole year round?
I am pretty sure salinity fluctuate from top to the bottom all the time especially those areas with strong current.

You would be correct, but the fluctuations are negligible normally.

If you dive a Predator dive compute, you can choose salinity rates . . . but that really isn't that necessary. Fresh is like 1000mg/l and salt water is 1030mg/l. IF I recall the units correctly.

A perfect illustration of the fresh water / salt water density is found in the Cenotes of the Yucatan. About forty feet down the water changes from fresh water to salt water. Swimming through this 'halocline' is really a cool thing to do because you can actually see (and taste) the change from fresh to salt water. I did not notice any difference on my depth gauge nor can I find any graphical evidence of the change from fresh to salt when I downloaded my dive profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom