French exception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I know you think that:
Thanks for proving my point by not reading the whole post.

But the way the level of danger is presented here is silly.
Please elaborate. How is the level of danger presented, and by whom? I know I have not said anything about the level of danger, and tursiops hinted that there is a limit to how impaired you can be and dive "safely".

We're at the point where an American agency tries to tell people they should use trimix below 30m in OW
What are you getting this from? Who does this?

GUE advocates this.
They also advocate no smoking. I guess that eliminates the French...at any depth for any gas. :p

GUE is a smaller agency with few certs, focussed on mainly technical diving. I would assume they have more instructors outside the US than inside; they list just 6 Premium or normal Dive Centers in the US, but 23 outside the US. In fact, their instructor list shows only 17 instructors locating mainly in the US.

In fact, their instructor list shows only 17 instructors locating mainly in the US.
For a scientist your counting and research skills seem pretty bad. Do you use chatGPT or a search engine that only shows results from 2003 or older?

For a scientist your counting and research skills seem pretty bad. Do you use chatGPT or a search engine that only shows results from 2003 or older?
I am quoting the GUE website. If you don't like the numbers, tell them, not me.

You seem to dislike my credentials,. Sorry.
If you had any I might dislike yours too. :p

• Funny
Reactions: L13
If only you were able to see the irony. I'll take Simon Mitchell's advice over yours any day. But that's just me, underestimating the renowned anonymous internet expert berndo, yet again.
Don't be so quick to take offense, you have at least 50 more dives than he does (50-99 >> 0). Given that he lives on a planet with no open water, all his info must be from the internet not experience.

You consider based on what? You are more prone to getting narced than other people. Your experience had nothing to do with co2. You where clearly narced and didn't recognize what happened and now you're trying to lecture on people that have much more experience than you, on co2 issues?
Diving below 40m is much more common than you think it is and not only in France. (And I guess you might be a gue who's gotten very one-sided story.) All the online stuff doesn't give you a realistic picture about real world diving. It's fairly common but not advertised on the internet. CO2 build up doesn't just happen out of nowhere and these dive essentially are bounces... I've given you specific examples in your CO2 thread for cases in which co2 build up actually was an issue. Claiming it's an issue for experienced divers to do bounce dives in good conditions is kinda far fetched.
Having said that, somebody with little experience and that is more prone to getting narced really shouldn't dive deeper than 40m on air. Most people should not dive below 40m... vacation divers, inexperienced divers, people that don't dive alot in general.
What they are discussing here is only for people that dive a lot and have experience on their home turf. The French and Italian who live close to the Med have gread diving on their doorstep.

I already tried to explain it in your 'co2 hit thread'. You had a theory there too but it was not realistic.

Instead of making up theories, maybe ask questions as a new diver?
CO2 build up is a significant factor in narcosys.
However this can be prevented with the proper breathing technique, which used to be thaught carefully in Cmas courses, when max recreational depth was 54-60 meters (depending on country).
I understand that PADI-trained divers are simply thaught to "breath normally" and to never hold their breath. This results in shallow and quick breathing, which consumes a lot of air whilst providing poor ventilation to alveoli.
Deep air divers instead were thaught to use a very slow and ample ventilation pattern, employing at least 3/4 of the total vital capacity and emptying carefully the lungs for expelling CO2. And to keep a short inspiratory pause, which maximizes gas exhange as you give more time to CO2 to be released in a phase of the respiratory cycle when lungs are expanded, providing the larger exchange surface and the larger pressure gradient.
Divers trained to this kind of breathing consume less air and are almost immune from the CO2 accumulation problem. This is also a good way of reducing narchosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom