Freeflow at 140'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then I fail to see why 20 people congratulated him on surviving such a harrowing incident instead of doing what everyone else has done and chastised him for making horrible decisions starting before the boat left the dock.

My first reaction to the post was "shut down right post, switch to back-up." The fact that that particular option was unavailable speaks more for the likelihood of some sort of incident occuring than anything else.

Rachel

P.S. What exactly constitutes an "emergency" that would require switching to the pony if this didnt?

biscuit7:
Then I fail to see why 20 people congratulated him on surviving such a harrowing incident instead of doing what everyone else has done and chastised him for making horrible decisions starting before the boat left the dock.

It was the standard Scubaboard Group Hug :D

TSandM:
I just thought you'd rather be known as wise than as chicken . . . :D
One does not necessarily preclude the other. :D
biscuit7:
ianr33:
It was the standard Scubaboard Group Hug :D
I think he's received a good balance of both. You wouldn't be able to read this thread without it becoming clear that the OP should increasing his training and adjust his gear configuration if he wishes to do these kinds of dives. But he hasn't been rec.scuba-ed out of the thread either.

TSandM:
I just thought you'd rather be known as wise than as chicken . . . :D

I find that it is wise to be chicken, sometimes

lamont:
Q: Why extend the dive after a freeze up on a reg due to a known cause, which is fixed u/w, when adequate gas reserves exist to continue the dive?

A: Because if a free-flow that is handled at 150 scares you so much that you need to abort, even though your regs are as fine as they were when you jumped in the water, and you have adequate gas, then you probably shouldn't be down there in the first place. Your regs are now fine, your gas is now fine. If your regs are *not* fine and the free-flow is indicative of a problem with them, then definitely abort.

Turning off the valve does not "fix" the freeflow, it just stops it until the reg ices up again. By definition, if the freeflow happened, then the diver's regs are not fine in those conditions.

Since the freeflow shows that the regs either need service or are operating outside their designed temperature/gas delivery range, I'd thumb the dive. Even if the freeflow was caused by an increased breathing rate, I don't believe that's a good excuse, since when the **** hits the fan, breathing rates tend to go up, and that's exactly when you don't want another avoidable problem.

OTOH, since I got married, I tend to avoid dives that have an increased chance of killing or injuring me, so YMMV . . . :cool:

Terry

So now the apparent consensus is OP has inadequate gear, insufficient training, an inattentive buddy, and the wrong gas for the fateful dive. Regardless, he (she?) gets a group hug for luck.

Did I miss anything?

Another whimp...Like me Thumbing the dive that is....

NetDoc:
Buk-buk-baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

wah, wah, wah! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom