Freeflow at 140'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont: I've never had a fee flow (for any reason, never mind icing), how long do you wait to see it is good again? Will it thaw in a few seconds? Couple of minutes?

Thanks.

Bjorn

I dive off Long Island, bottom temps seldom go above 55, and mostly stay closer to 50. Most of the freeflows I have seen are due to tuning, or just plain old crap in reg (sand especially)
The exception was when I WENT to Lake George (upstate NY) for Ice Dive. There about every other reg managed to freeflow ( surface temps were abt 17deg)

In emergency situation Nitrox 50% stage freeze with no company, do you thing is possible removal "deco bottle" 1st stage reg switching to stage bottle.
off course we know removal 1st stage under water will damage you gears, After end of the dive send it for servicing.
please advices
KINO

It's possible, but a lot easier to dive with a buddy and plan for lost deco gas.

I had one, but at only 80'. Makes you appreciate good planning and being a prepared diver, eh?

It's possible...for emergency situation..

The other day, I was diving the new doubles, and I wanted to do a weight check. So I bled the tanks down from about 1200 psi to 500. Air temperature was probably close to 80 degrees, and water temperature was about 55. I ended up with a freeflow. Fairly clearly, this was a first-stage freeze, because I could not stop it by any manipulation of the second stage, but turning off the right post for about two or three minutes solved the problem.

I was very embarrassed that I was still futzing with the second stage when rjack came over and turned off the right post. I haven't graduated to "doubles think" yet.

Anyway, you can freeze in warm air and warmish water, if your flow rate is high enough. That was my point.

Kino:
In emergency situation Nitrox 50% stage freeze with no company, do you thing is possible removal "deco bottle" 1st stage reg switching to stage bottle.
off course we know removal 1st stage under water will damage you gears, After end of the dive send it for servicing.
please advices
KINO

Possible maybe but i think it makes more sense to just feather the valve (turn it off between breaths).

jeckyll:
Lamont: I've never had a fee flow (for any reason, never mind icing), how long do you wait to see it is good again? Will it thaw in a few seconds? Couple of minutes?

Around here the issues seem to be more mechanical rather than icing. It has worked for me to just shut it down and then open it up. Have to ask someone that dives in less than 45F/5C water how long it takes to thaw a reg...

TSandM:
Anyway, you can freeze in warm air and warmish water, if your flow rate is high enough. That was my point.

Calling 55 degree water warmish is a stretch for me. :D

I wonder if it would freeze in 85 degree water? I bled about 1/2 of my AL doubles out and my Apeks didn't freeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom