Freediving Fins for Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find any reason within me to convince myself to get carbon fins, I know they are sweet as hell to use but the price just doesn't seem to fit the number of use I will have on it. I know the Avanti fins are very nice but I don't want to have another short fin on my dive bag.
I like the carbon because they are very responsive but not as stiff as plastic. The full foot Avanti is not a short fin they are several inches longer than my Nova's and only 3" or 4" shorter than my Omer fins. My opinion if you are going strictly by price you may not be happy in the end. I would see if you could borrow some fins that others are using and see what you like.

I used my old Riffe Descender plastic fins when I first started scuba diving cause I was too cheap to buy actual scuba fins. They worked well with the exception of buddies telling me to slow down even though I wasn't even trying to kick hard. Giant stride entries are done with fins off.

The Cressi Garas are the only ones I've tried. They're freakin' planks but I think a hard fin would be better than a super soft one. Maybe try a few out before making a purchase? +1 on what Dano said about fins that are "too soft." I know my carbons lack the ooooomph when doing the turn on a max depth freedive. I can't imagine using them for scuba...then again I live and dive in California with a steel tank and 5.4kg of weights. Have you heard of Leaderfins? I think they're pretty popular in the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom