Question Freediving according to scubadiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CG43

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
About 20 years ago I read that freediving after scubadiving is dangerous.
Microbubbles in the venous system from the scubadive will be released or retained in the lungs . In freediving, these microbubbles are reduced in size by the pressure and can thus pass through the lungs and enter the arterial circulation. That's what I have in mind from about 20 years ago. What does divingmedicine say about this problem today?
I have always enjoyed freediving, especially after scubadiving, and I don't want to do without it, but DCS is the last thing I want. I suspect that the question of what is still certain is not so easy to answer, but maybe there is more recent research on it?
What are your experiences with freediving after scuba diving?

Greetings Rainer

What does divingmedicine say about this problem today?

Same.

Don’t.

Don’t do it.
Freedive before scuba diving but keep that to a minimim too since depending on how deep / how long your freedive there could be some tissue loading from freediving. If you do that maybe strap on your computer just to keep track.
Best is to freedive on a separate day.

Hello NothingClever

Thanks for the link to DAN .

Half the no deco time of the US Navy tabel scubadive before is a number .
I am not happy with it, but I will consider this recommendation as that of a competent doctor.

Hello Eric Sedletzky

Best is to freedive on a separate day.
During my vacation, I want to do freediving every day. But I'm not so good as a freediver that I can always do without scuba.
For example the wreck "Chaouen Ile du Planier france" max. depth 32m .
1. scubadive no deco limit .
2. scubadive 5min deco .
3. One hour later freedives from 10m to 30m depth.

After the two scubadives I was so relaxed that an inner voice told me: "Now you dive the wreck without scuba.
Swimming 30m down and up does not result in a significant bottom time for me, but now I already knew the wreck from the Scubadives. I also knew the inside of the wreck and knew what I could do safely as a freediver. It turned out to be some of the best freedives I've ever done.

greetings Rainer

Today, I just heard about a really good freediver who was bent very badly from doing deep freedives. He is partially disabled and has undergone extensive hyperbaric treatments. I had seen him dive a few years ago when he was only doing like 130 feet or something, but apparently he got much, much better with extensive training and practice.

I have done a little shallow freediving after scuba, but freediving to 30 meters after scuba seems very unwise to me. Freedivers can get seriously bent, don't kid yourself.

Hello John

Thanks for your answer .
The chauoen was 1986 and long bevor t read obout the DCS danger from freediving after scuba .
Since I know , I was more careful , and I will stick with it as long as I don't read anything more detailed about it.

Greetings Rainer

During my vacation, I want to do freediving every day. But I'm not so good as a freediver that I can always do without scuba.
For example the wreck "Chaouen Ile du Planier france" max. depth 32m .
1. scubadive no deco limit .
2. scubadive 5min deco .
3. One hour later freedives from 10m to 30m depth.
That is what you are doing? If so, that is extremely high risk for DCS. Bounce dives are about the worst thing you can do following a deco dive. Breathing or not is irrelevant as far as I understand, it's the pressure change that matters.

I can't find any references though. Too bad the Rubicon Foundation is no longer available.

And if you can do 30m freedives, you are already in the upper echelon of freedivers. Pick one or the other.

I do not freedive the days I Dive on SCUBA, if it is a shallow reef I like to just snorkel around on the surface sometimes after a dive, 2 weeks ago I had 2 Manta rays gliding under me in 6m of water with me just flopping along on the surface, the freedivers scared them off diving down to them, had them to myself for 15min until they arrived.

So no serious freediving the day you SCUBA dive, as others have said.

Mate you're almost getting too old for scuba diving, keep your magnificent memories of freediving in your heart

Thanks for your answer .

Took the 'Freediver' class about a year ago - if you want to do both in the same day, the class tells you to start with free diving and then scuba

personally, scuba > free...

Back
Top Bottom