Freedive Training & Spearing Charters in Eastern NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro67

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok, I know this isn't a freedive forum, but there may be some of you scuba folks looking to add a new skill to your ocean repertoire like I was..... in any event........ :)

By way of a shout out. I've been scuba spearfishing for well over a decade, but always wanted to get into the freedive version which appeals more to my athletic/ competitive nature, and would give me an opportunity for different fish species, as well as potentially bigger fish. I wanted to get trained before jumping into it and chance making mistakes, or getting into bad habits.

I live in Va Beach, but often travel to scuba in NC for the better visibility. I was particularly happy to find George Frazier who recently started BeyondFreediving in Beaufort, NC. He's an AIDA instructor, which being a Brit I'm familiar with, but many in the US less so. AIDA are the governing body for the sport of freediving, and training is widespread across Europe and other parts of the world. Not saying PFI and FII aren't equally good, and very likely they train the exact same way with a similar course syllabus.

Last week I attended and completed the AIDA 2* class with George on a one-on-one basis. Terrific training, and superb instructor with years of experience in and on the water around many parts of the globe. He also runs spearing trips with his own boat.

If you're in his neighborhood, or looking to travel, check him out - you won't be sorry! North Carolina Beyond Freediving | Freediving Beaufort | United States Freediving

Duncan.

Good stuff Scubapro67. I did some AIDA training earlier this year (to AIDA 4*) and it was great. From what I have observed AIDA is more accepted as a freedive training body worldwide than the others that run training (not saying the others are bad - just that they are not so widely accepted).

If anyone is wondering ... Here are the course prerequisites showing the courses from other training agencies that can be used as prerequisites for entry to AIDA courses: AIDA Course Equivalencies

Back
Top Bottom