Freedive Suits for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
We recently had this picture and comments come in on one of our social media channels. It was completely unsolicited and we do not sponsor these divers.

Hi Mako!!! We love your suits and wanted to show you!!! We wear them all day at work at the Channel Islands National Park doing kelp forest monitoring. They keep us warm up to 100 minutes in 35ft of water!!!!

296034937_598818965255014_2334076898077426309_n.jpg

I love my Mako 5MM freediving suit for scuba when I don't want to hassle with the dry suit. I'm good down to about 65 degrees in it.
Although now I won't be able to get any suit on for months after breaking my hip nearly 3 weeks ago. The quality of the suit is top notch.
Just remember for anyone getting a freediving suit, you have to lube up to avoid damaging it when putting it on.
Order a bottle of suit slide from Dano when you order the suit!

Jim: Thanks very much for the positive feedback on our two piece suits. Very sorry to hear about your recent injury. I hope the recovery goes well and you are back to diving before the leaves are falling!

Thanks
Dano

I've worn nothing but freediving suits for scuba (or a drysuit) since 2005 or so. I'll never buy a
"scuba" suit again.

My Mako suit has been top notch, as good or better than any of the other 5 or 6 brands I've had.

Freediving suits are great for scuba, that's what most of the experienced guys in the club use. Moray suits fit me best, but the others use wettie and beauchat. Find one that fits well and go diving!

5mm 2 piece is the standard for around here where the water sits between 13 and 20 deg Celsius.

How well would they do in the Puget Sound? Call it 45°F on average

I love my Mako 5MM freediving suit for scuba when I don't want to hassle with the dry suit. I'm good down to about 65 degrees in it.
Although now I won't be able to get any suit on for months after breaking my hip nearly 3 weeks ago. The quality of the suit is top notch.
Just remember for anyone getting a freediving suit, you have to lube up to avoid damaging it when putting it on.
Order a bottle of suit slide from Dano when you order the suit!
I fear if I had to "lube up" I'd get distracted.

How well would they do in the Puget Sound? Call it 45°F on average
294105131_10159913474399038_3217486162869269228_n.jpg

This is a picture our customers sent us a few weeks ago from (free) diving in Alaska - using 7 mm suits.

It would be interesting to measure different suit material compression at different depths. I have always heard that the super-stretchy and soft materials used in freediving suits is more compressible. The question is by how much and how much the impacts insulation?

There are plenty of inexpensive stainless steel Vernier calipers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom