Freedive Suits for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be interesting to measure different suit material compression at different depths. I have always heard that the super-stretchy and soft materials used in freediving suits is more compressible. The question is by how much and how much the impacts insulation?

There are plenty of inexpensive stainless steel Vernier calipers.
I did, my buddy made me 4 different 8mm suits for deep dives, yammamoto45, daiwabo, heiwa soft and sheico.

Yamamoto went first, lost all strechiness and thermal isolation. Daiwabo suprisingly went next, i was betting it would be last. Sheico survived a lot of work in 50m depth but went from a 8mm to a 5 at best.
Heiwa soft survived 3 dives deeper than 100m, bunch of the 60-70m ones and literal hundreds up to 50. I used it for inshore constuction because the closed cell material on the outside became rock hard.
Threw it away after close to 2 years of constant use because it started to chafe at some parts where no man wants to be chafed.

I have a custom skin-in suit made with one of the Heiwa materials sold for Scuba (whatever that means). The 7mm material is cut like a freediving suit but is far more stretchy and comfortable than my old 1/4" Rubatex G-231 suits it replaced. It is very warm in 50°F or 10°C water until about 60' or 20m. The Rubatex was not as warm on the surface but I was OK down to the 165' or 50m range.

What we really need is an incompressible version of Yamamoto 45!

I did, my buddy made me 4 different 8mm suits for deep dives, yammamoto45, daiwabo, heiwa soft and sheico.

Yamamoto went first, lost all strechiness and thermal isolation. Daiwabo suprisingly went next, i was betting it would be last. Sheico survived a lot of work in 50m depth but went from a 8mm to a 5 at best.
Heiwa soft survived 3 dives deeper than 100m, bunch of the 60-70m ones and literal hundreds up to 50. I used it for inshore constuction because the closed cell material on the outside became rock hard.
Threw it away after close to 2 years of constant use because it started to chafe at some parts where no man wants to be chafed.
I’ve had Rubatex G231N suits and I’ve had other suits made out of some material from South Korea. The South Korean stuff was incredibly dense and very hard to break in. It was even stiffer than Rubatex. It would be okay for a fat guy who is strong enough to work against the stiffness because then the body fat would mould itself to the shape of the suit and they could get a good body seal. This material was skin-in.
A skinny muscular guy would have trouble with it because it would have to be cut and allow for every bump and muscle shape which would be next to impossible to do. The stuff is very difficult to stretch. That’s the great irony with wetsuits, the skinny guy that needs a dense suit for compression resistance and warmth can’t get a suit like that to fit, and the fat guy who is always hot diving even in 48 degree water doesn’t need it.
I’m curious if Mako makes suits for tall guys (6’4”) with long enough legs that don’t ride up.

Wetsuit Size Chart​

Wetsuit
Size
HeightWeight
Youth Large (48)4'10" to 5'2"95-115
S5'1" to 5'6"120-140
M5'4" to 5'9"145-160
ML5'7" to 5'11"160-170
L5'9" to 6'2"175-190
XL5'10" to 6'3"190-205
XXL5'11" to 6'4"210-225
XXXL6'0" to 6'6"230-250+

Wetsuit Size Chart​

Wetsuit
Size
HeightWeight
Youth Large (48)4'10" to 5'2"95-115
S5'1" to 5'6"120-140
M5'4" to 5'9"145-160
ML5'7" to 5'11"160-170
L5'9" to 6'2"175-190
XL5'10" to 6'3"190-205
XXL5'11" to 6'4"210-225
XXXL6'0" to 6'6"230-250+
How big is the waist on the 3X?
I have a 36”-38” waist depending on how my diet is and most of the time when I get a suit long enough for my limbs I float in the middle.

Thanks for the question Eric!

I'm not sure we have good information on those types of measurements. What we typically say is that the weight is more important than the height if you are a little outside of a suit size thresholds. This seems to work very well, with very few suits being returned for sizing issues.

Also, when you are looking at a warm water suit and say for example, you are relatively tall and thin, then having the ankle or sleeve a tiny bit short is not a big deal since the water is warm and gloves and socks normally cover that area. However, when you are talking about COLD water and a 7 mm suit, then the fit becomes for important.

The best advice I can give is look at the weight and height guidelines and see where you fall. If you are close, it is worth a try and if it doesn't fit, we accept returns of suits that have not been used.

Hope that is adequate, I really do appreciate the question and the interest!

dive safe
dano

Thanks for the question Eric!

I'm not sure we have good information on those types of measurements. What we typically say is that the weight is more important than the height if you are a little outside of a suit size thresholds. This seems to work very well, with very few suits being returned for sizing issues.

Also, when you are looking at a warm water suit and say for example, you are relatively tall and thin, then having the ankle or sleeve a tiny bit short is not a big deal since the water is warm and gloves and socks normally cover that area. However, when you are talking about COLD water and a 7 mm suit, then the fit becomes for important.

The best advice I can give is look at the weight and height guidelines and see where you fall. If you are close, it is worth a try and if it doesn't fit, we accept returns of suits that have not been used.

Hope that is adequate, I really do appreciate the question and the interest!

dive safe
dano
Perfect!
I’ll keep it in mind.
Thank you.

Just got an unsolicited feedback from a customer on Facebook from ICELAND.

Jd Diving in Iceland Silfra Fissure has been a dream
. #iceland #silfrafissure #diving #freediving #freedivingart #coldwaterswimming #mares #makowetsuits #underwarerphotography

"Great suit! Keeps me warm for an hour"

310847211_649542566525518_473977091143958432_n.jpg

310831173_498561412161197_7059595611514946591_n.jpg

nice. and that water is COLD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom