Freebie: Good or Junk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A non diving friend came across a couple tanks from somebody who is moving and didn't want to take the tanks with him. So he picked up one and gave it to me. I am wondering if it is any good, or even what kind of tank it is.
I know its an AL80. Current hydro expires in a couple months, first hydro in 1987 The tank valve is loose.
It does not say LUXFER anywhere. Stamped on it is CTCI (or 1)DOT-E6498-3000.
And there is P387771.

Anybody have any ideas about this tank? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jenny

CTC = Candian Transport Commission
DOT = Department of Transportation - not sure what the E6498 is for but the 3000 is another reference to the pressure rating
P387771 is the seriel number of the tank

Is there any other markings? There usually will be some kind of manufacturer's mark at the end of all the other numbers - might start with M.

Best advise would be to take it to a shop and have them do a visual to see if it looks like the tank was properly cared for and if the loose valve has anything to do with damage to the neck.

USD a fw spaces away from the Seriel number
There is an A that is by itself. Looks like it might have a 1 or I between the slanted strokes that make up the A, but it is very small. Last vis was March 03.

The 6498 is a DOT exemption number, and if memory serves that looks like it might indeed be one of the Luxfer 6251-alloy tanks. I do believe my Walter Kidde tank bears the same exemption number, and it's been confirmed that it's made of that alloy (although I'm still using it and it has been cleared on every hydro and viz)

Do a Google search on "Walter Kidde" tanks and you're sure to find reference to the DOT Advisory - it lists out all exemption numbers ("E" numbers) that the Advisory applies to.

On a tank like that - an older aluminum one - why bother? There are plenty of aluminum tanks in great, known shape out here in southern Florida, so anything marginal or questionable like that is not worth the time or effort.

I've also seen them used as garden ornaments, put little lights up in the necks of tiki lamp holders etc :wink:

I buy used steel, but i am a little wary of used aluminium tanks, particularly if older than a couple of years old. Ask for them for free to use in the garden :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom