Free parts for life program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please answer this question. There is a lot of 'silt' floating around about this and as Apeks lovers and consumers, we should have a right to know why properly maintained gear sold as 2nd hand/used gear is no longer covered....

I know the answer but you won't like it.
Apeks (and every other brand out there) make their money when they sell a new reg. They convinced you that buying from them new is a better value because of free parts.
Now, if you sell it are you sending Apeks a cut? No, of course not. If you sell your reg used they don't make any money off of it and you are preventing someone else from buying a new reg set from them. You just cost them a customer--how rude!

They would prefer to sell a new reg set to another customer and have you hang on to yours. From their point of view it is a win-win because they get to profit from another sale and now two people get to have a (probably unnecessary) service done on their regs every year with free parts!

You may think this is poor customer service (and I agree) but from the point of view of the equipment manufacturer, once you attempt to sell used gear you stop being a customer and become competition.

I know the answer but you won't like it.
Apeks (and every other brand out there) make their money when they sell a new reg. They convinced you that buying from them new is a better value because of free parts.
Now, if you sell it are you sending Apeks a cut? No, of course not. If you sell your reg used they don't make any money off of it and you are preventing someone else from buying a new reg set from them. You just cost them a customer--how rude!

They would prefer to sell a new reg set to another customer and have you hang on to yours. From their point of view it is a win-win because they get to profit from another sale and now two people get to have a (probably unnecessary) service done on their regs every year with free parts!

You may think this is poor customer service (and I agree) but from the point of view of the equipment manufacturer, once you attempt to sell used gear you stop being a customer and become competition.

That being said, and I see your point, if the manufacturer keeps on selling the same reg with just a facelift... Where is the innovation? Your point, while valid and probably true as to their reasoning on why they don't cover used regs, is not only bad customer service, it is bad for their own growth as a manufacturer!!

Also, a person that is buying used most probably cannot afford new OR cannot afford to spend new at the moment. So would you rather throw this client away because at the point in time they could buy a new reg?? Or would you rather treat them well and they will eventually purchase a new reg. Selling used is not competition if you don't let it be, it is a marketing tool that if not used properly maybe @apeks and the like need to rethink their marketing strategies and start thinking on how to keep their future market share.

My 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure there is a Padi "how to get more money out of scuba divers" cert, but it seems only manufactures have the necessary perquisites to sign up.

Parts for life, quite the scam.

I'm pretty sure there is a Padi "how to get more money out of scuba divers" cert, but it seems only manufactures have the necessary perquisites to sign up.

Parts for life, quite the scam.
That is not cricket!

I meant Apeks!
Getting spare part(not service kit) is thing of the past!
Playing cricket probably has no meaning for Aqualung.

I think jhnmdahl is right, it's partially an incentive for shops to sell a product. It helps to keep divers coming back to the same shop and it makes used regs financially unfavourable. For an avid diver it also makes sense. I'm told it's $100 for service kits so in maybe 6 years or so an Apeks becomes cheaper than, say, a Hog.

I've not kept records of service on mine and I wonder if, for whatever reason, I switch to another shop will I lose lifetime service parts?

scuba pro just stopped doing parts for life EVEN if your the orig owner and all the rebuilds done , they screwed me on 10 regs ! I wont buy or RECOMEND scuba pro to anyone ever again

It makes less sense when you consider service parts are cheap. I'd bet service kits for a 2nd stage cost 50c but sell for $20 or more. A 1st stage kit probably costs $3 but sells for $30. Charge $100 extra for regs, the interest on it pays for parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom