Free flowing octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as it turns out, it's not so simple of a repair. The tech guy at my shop took a look at it and it's not an issue with the octopus, it's a problem with the first stage. If I understood everything correctly, the intermediate pressure should be at 9-10 bar. Mine is at 13 bar. The excess air is taking the path of least resistance and free-flowing from the octopus. He couldn't fix it since he's not a certified Mares tech.

Anyway, my main question is now warranty. How can I get it fixed without having to pay big money? I've had it for about 6 months, and bought it from a certified dealer but never registered it, nor do I have my papers with me.

OK; this was one of the possibilities I mentioned in my previous post.

What brand and model first stage are you using? Is it a Mares 1st stage? Or some other brand?

The intermediate pressure (IP) CAN be easily adjusted externally on most diaphragm-type first stages. There is a possibility that an adjustment is all that is needed (the tech will use an Allen wrench to do this if it is a Mares first stage, and make gradual adjustments until the IP is back within normal range).

But my guess based on how far above normal IP your reg is would be the the first stage will need to be taken apart and serviced, and a new high pressure seat installed. This should not be horribly expensive even if you do not have warranty coverage.... basically, the tech will be doing the same service that on most new Mares regs is performed at the 2-year mark (replacing the high pressure poppet).

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom