Free Flow issues with my Aqualung Titan 1st and 2nd stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pastorjared

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I am having free flow issues on my regs. We have been diving in 37 degree water, (20-30 degree surface temps) with no issues all winter long. A few weeks ago, however, I was diving with my instructor and another buddy, and my reg began to free flow. We made our ascent and my instructor turned my tank off to stop the free flow. Initially my Instructor (LDS) thought i needed to have my reg overhauled which was true. He also overhauled my first stage and adjusted the air flow for cold water. We went on another dive and then free flow happened again. Instructor looked at the second stage and said i may need an environmentally sealed cap on the first stage. Thinking that would fix the problem we just went out again this morning with 50 degree surface temp and 37 degrees at depth, but low and behold once again I had a free flow.

My Instructor is stumped and I'm tired of ending my dives early with this problem.
Anyone have a suggestion?

thanks for your help.

Jared

You're diving a non sealed reg in those temps? That's faith there to be sure. What did he set the IP (intermediate pressure) at? When doing ice classes, and you are talking about under the ice water temps, the shop/instructor I trained with was turning non sealed regs down to 125 -128 psi. Me, I only dive sealed regs no matter what the temp.

A large sealed 1st. stage large makes a better cold sink also moisture in air could be a factor the big hog is a good choice and is the most value for what you get I like your 2nd stage

Hey everyone,

I am having free flow issues on my regs. We have been diving in 37 degree water, (20-30 degree surface temps) with no issues all winter long. A few weeks ago, however, I was diving with my instructor and another buddy, and my reg began to free flow. We made our ascent and my instructor turned my tank off to stop the free flow. Initially my Instructor (LDS) thought i needed to have my reg overhauled which was true. He also overhauled my first stage and adjusted the air flow for cold water. We went on another dive and then free flow happened again. Instructor looked at the second stage and said i may need an environmentally sealed cap on the first stage. Thinking that would fix the problem we just went out again this morning with 50 degree surface temp and 37 degrees at depth, but low and behold once again I had a free flow.

My Instructor is stumped and I'm tired of ending my dives early with this problem.
Anyone have a suggestion?

thanks for your help.

Jared

You need the environmental kit and as well tune the IP to about 125 psi.

N

You're diving a non sealed reg in those temps? That's faith there to be sure. What did he set the IP (intermediate pressure) at? When doing ice classes, and you are talking about under the ice water temps, the shop/instructor I trained with was turning non sealed regs down to 125 -128 psi. Me, I only dive sealed regs no matter what the temp.

When you say "Sealed regs", do you mean the first stage? He Just added an environmentally sealed kit to the 1st stage. is there one for second?

When you say "Sealed regs", do you mean the first stage? He Just added an environmentally sealed kit to the 1st stage. is there one for second?

We mean the first stage. If the kit was just added and it still free flows then the next thing is as suggested, run the IP down, even as low as 115 psi. If that has already been done and it still freezes and free flows, well, dunno. Check lever height while at it.

Are you sure it is freezing up?

Is it freezing up after a free flow is initiated, if so this indicates the regulator is still tuned a bit to "easy" and needs to be desensitized. The Legend is easier to deal with because it has the breathing control knob. Nothing in particular prevents that from being added to a Titan. I would set the second with IP at 120ish and tune the second to be a bit stiff, maybe 1.5 inches on the Magnahelic or a bit more. If that stops the issue then try working the cracking effort back down from there until you get a best compromise.

There is technique involved in preventing reg freeze ups.

N

I have a feeling there's something else going on causing your free flow. You said you've used it successfully in those temps, then it started flowing, the guy worked on it, added the seal, and it still flows?

The IP adjustment is basically supposed to slow flow, but other than that in won't do much. In fact, lower IP theoretically means great adiabatic cooling at the 1st stage, because you have a larger drop from supply to IP. Practically speaking, though, it does slow flow and, I guess, can help for divers with less-than-perfect cold water technique.

If you were diving frequently at the same temps with no problem, and then it started, something must have changed. Is that the case? And assuming the tech installed an environmental seal on the 1st stage, it's even less likely that it would freeze. I think you have an IP leak or IP creep. Have the tech pressurize the reg and just watch the IP gauge for several minutes with both a full and near-empty tank. Bump the purge a few times, watch again, etc...eventually he'll know whether IP is rock solid or not.

If it is, I would suggest borrowing a different 2nd stage and trying that, you never know.

It is also free flowing with the Venturi Assist on minimum?
The Titan Venturi is sometimes very sensitive like the R190 and can fast override the 2nd stage mechanism, initiating maybe enough air speed to start freezing. I would expect this more to happen in a piston design 1st stage, but who knows.
The filters of the compressor you are using to fill your tanks, are fine?
Halocline is right that it is strange that you had no problems all winter,but all of a sudden the problems begin and you and your instructor don`t get them solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom