Free Electronic Logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like it, too. Problem is it won't run in a user account, only with administrator privledges. When I start it in a user account, it encounters a problem and has to close.

Is this fixable?

I'm running XP Home Edition on a 4 year old Dell Dimension and a P4 processor, if it matters.

Thanks for your hard work. I was afraid I'd have to come up with something on my own.

GSDMan:
I like it, too. Problem is it won't run in a user account, only with administrator privledges. When I start it in a user account, it encounters a problem and has to close.

Is this fixable?

I'm running XP Home Edition on a 4 year old Dell Dimension and a P4 processor, if it matters.

Thanks for your hard work. I was afraid I'd have to come up with something on my own.

Well, the EXE file is stand-alone, which means that it doesn't need any other component to run. I.e., it could run from a user account.

What links the EXE file to the database is something called JET OLE DB PROVIDER. I don't want to go so technical but if, for example, your MS Office applications run smoothly from this user account, the logbook should run from the same user account smoothly as well.

Let's get technical for just a minute please. What language did you right this in? By the way pretty nice. But you might want to consider using something like crystal reports to generate hard copies.

Just wanted to chime in and say "great job!" I really like seeing this kind of community involvement, and have been looking for good dive log software. Thanks also for the screenshot.

I also want to echo the calls to allow for exporting dive data as a backup, preferrably as a tab delimited text file or xls. I expect my paper log book to outlive any number of generations of computers I'll have in the next few years, so backups are definitely key :)

Are those photos static, or are you able to drag screenshots from the file explorer into the interface to create thumbnail links to actual dive images?

I haven't really looked at it yet but a few comments off the bat.

Import/export to text file is mandatory. Entering data is time consuming and I couldn't imagine expending all that effort and being married to the software. Nor would I want to re-enter the hundreds of dives I've already entered elsewhere.

Defaults would make things much easier on data entry. Being able to go to a logged dive, change a few fields, and create a new logged dive would also be nice.

The menu at right is rather cryptic and odd.

What database format is used?

Free is good, and beggars cannot be choosers, but what are your intentions? Are you just sharing your efforts with other divers or planning a commercial version? Do you expect to continue development and support in the future?

Gombessa:
Just wanted to chime in and say "great job!" I really like seeing this kind of community involvement, and have been looking for good dive log software. Thanks also for the screenshot.

I also want to echo the calls to allow for exporting dive data as a backup, preferrably as a tab delimited text file or xls. I expect my paper log book to outlive any number of generations of computers I'll have in the next few years, so backups are definitely key :)

Are those photos static, or are you able to drag screenshots from the file explorer into the interface to create thumbnail links to actual dive images?

The photos are static but I'll consider the thumbnail thing in the next version.

Nice idea. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom