free diving to benefit scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes being an accomplished Freediver is potentially extremely beneficial prior to scuba diving training. However once you are trained as scuba diver, I’m not so sure that freedive training is better than scuba practice.

There are outliers too that can freedive well, but just aren’t comfortable being 90 ft down on a tank.

It is a different culture, if I want to impress scuba divers, I tell them I can Freediver to 60 ft and if I want to try to impress freedivers, I tell them I can scuba dive to 180 ft (on air).

Of course anyone who is accomplished at either sport is throughly unimpressed!
There are freedivers that laugh at 180’, that is amateur hour for them.
There champion freedivers going past 250’ or 300’.
What’s the all time record for deepest freedive now? - 702’
One breath.
Their athleticism is stunning!
What does in take to do those depths on scuba?

One breath.
There are many categories of freediving, depending upon what is used to assist in the descent and ascent. The 702 foot record, for example, uses a weighted sled for descent and a balloon for ascent.

There are many categories of freediving, depending upon what is used to assist in the descent and ascent. The 702 foot record, for example, uses a weighted sled for descent and a balloon for ascent.

Yes I know, but just the fact that a diver did that on one breath even assisted is pretty remarkable, no?
What would it take to do that on scuba? How about open circuit scuba?

Yes I know, but just the fact that a diver did that on one breath even assisted is pretty remarkable, no?

Exactly the same thing, just never breathe from the reg.

Seriously though, you can't do polaris ascent, and there may be issues with sled descent too. It's way too much "apples and oranges".

One breath.
Aside from the athleticism, the mental fortitude....hardcore!

Yes, it is impressive, but also very much unrelated to scuba. As dmaziuk said, in this regard they are apples and oranges.

There is also a danger in taking the comparisons too far. In many past threads, people have worried (needlessly) about being able to exhale all the way to the surface when doing a CESA in an OOA emergency, and invariably people enter the thread to argue that they should take free diving practice to help with the depth from which they can do the CESA. Apparently they believe the longer you can hold your breath, the deeper you can be when you begin your ascent on scuba. Since the ability to hold your breath has nothing to do with your ability to exhale, it implies that they believe one needs to hold one's breath during ascent, a belief that could be fatal.

Exactly the same thing, just never breathe from the reg.

Seriously though, you can't do polaris ascent, and there may be issues with sled descent too. It's way too much "apples and oranges".
A Christmas tree of bottles, back gas, stages, stages on the line, stages everywhere.
Just don’t breathe from the reg?? Lol 😆
Most scuba divers unless they are incredibly filthy rich and have money to burn would never be able to even do half that depth on open circuit scuba with the amount of helium needed. I don’t even know if 702’ is possible on scuba?, is it?
It’s pretty amazing when you think about it, in order to go that deep and just get a peek at what it’s like to be there all the cumbersome gear gets ditched and they do it on a breath hold instead.
Scuba divers going deep I‘m not impressed.
Freedivers going deep I’m freakin’ impressed!

Isn't all that other stuff what you do until you've saved your money and your mum says you can buy a tank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom