Free diving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IME, freedive fins are faster and more efficient than Jets.

Way overkill for any dive I've done.

Reactions: OTF
Freediving fins will not necessarily reduce your SAC but they will increase the distance you travel underwater. You simply move faster for the same effort exerted.

They are also a pain in the ass if you are diving in a tight group, they make it harder to get in the water and out of the water and if you are diving with a lot of extra gear get ready to go to sleep with sore ankles and hips.

More efficient fins are unnecessary? Perhaps, but good trim and streamlining are not necessary either.

For me it comes down to convenience in wearing the fins on the boat and also the issues with removal before climbing a ladder. Smaller blades and an adjustable heel strap are easier to deal with. And cold water with thick boots eliminate full foot fins as an option.

Thanks all! I’m thinking of getting a pair for stronger current environments
I started using my long-blades Rondine Gara free-diving fins at Maldives, where I was working as DM and instructor, exactly for being able to overcome the strong currents you get in reef channels.
However it was with a single tank, minimal wet suit, minimal BCD. Super streamlined...
When moving back to mediterranean I did find necessary to swap the long blades with the shorter ones, for overcoming the largest friction caused by a complete suit, a larger tank and BCD.
my Rondine Gara are the model with half pocket and strap, so I can use them also with Neoprene boots.
cressi-sub-rondine-gara-free-diving_1_5385d8a0d9940a633d44dd4384e9ba30.jpg
Rondine-Gara.jpg

I used free diving fin for scuba for years. Frog, back kick, and helicopter turns are all possible, but not ideal. I mostly used my ankles to provide enough speed to not ditch clients... basically a skulling frog kick.

Bummer parts: giant stride is a no-go. Blades will snap. Not sure if carbon fiber would snap, but not about to do a test with $300 worth of fin blades. They are also incredibly negatively buoyant, they just don't have much volume to displace the weight. Again CF may be a slight exception, but my fiberglass blades are way more negative than my Jet fins.

I might want to get some myself after reading the comments in this thread. Any recommendations for some free-diving fins to look at?

You have a lot of choices. You kinda have to pick a budget. You can get inexpensive plastic freedive fins for around $100-175, fiberglass for around $250 and carbon from maybe 3-600. In all honesty, carbon is overkill for scuba. Most plastic fins are tough, reasonably stiff (which is what you want for scuba) and have maybe 90% of the performance of a better, more expensive fin. That 90% figure is a subjective guess based on my personal experience, NOT quantitative.

Depending on the brand, you can choose to buy fins that have removable blades which allows upgrade/replacement of blades, which might be beneficial.

The cressi 2000 is a very nice fin, but the foot pocket and blade are bonded as one unit.

Cressi Gara 2000 HF Fins, Black

Pro - they're far, far more powerful, efficient, or fast
Con - they're awful to maneuver in, less precision and control, forget back kicking

If you're diving in strong current, want to lazily cruise in open water, or need to cover a lot of distance with low air consumption they're a reasonable choice.

I have freediving fins and use them for scuba.

They're long. Really long. They won't fit in your dive bag. They won't fit in most luggage. They will get in other people's way on the dive boat. They are even more awkward to try to duck-walk around on the boat or on a dock on, than regular fins. They cost more. Generally they will take longer to put on especially compared to open-heel fins. Those fin-on dive ladders? Those are for people with regular-sized fins, not for you.

You will probably find that frog kicks are possible but awkward.

You will move faster with less effort and current will be less a problem for you.

Generally I use smaller fins for boat dives or travel, and use the freediving fins for shore dives (which are the majority of my diving).

Back
Top Bottom