Fred Massie - Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Received this e-mail today from David Cain, Nashville:

David Cain:
We have just heard from Scott from the Cool Springs SCUBA Club that Fred Massie, who many of you know from Martha's Quarry as the owner, is recovering from Friday's aneurism at the Veterans Administration hospital in Nashville.... His son Van says his condition changes daily. He has experienced no memory deficits, but is still having trouble moving his left arm. Fred is not yet able to speak at this time. (As we all know, Fred's reluctance to talk on the phone is a highly unusual phenomenon!)

Van indicates that it would be best to refrain from visiting Fred for a few days.

Remember Fred in your thoughts and, for many of you, in your prayers. I know the Cool Springs SCUBA Club has sent flowers and Tropical Breeze Diving and the YSCUBA staff are sending some also. We will be ordering them this afternoon, if anyone would like to chip in please let me know. If you know of something approprate we might concider sending along with the flowers please contact me as well.

I will assume that David does not mind me posting this publicly, as I know many of you know Fred. I did edit out the floor & room number that he's currently in, as visitors are not requested at this time anyway & any arrangements can be sent directly to the hospital (or you can PM me for specific details if you'd like).

I work at Vanderbilt University & Nashville VA, so I'd be happy to print out this thread & bring it to Fred if any of you would like to post your good wishes.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery,
Jim

GoBlue!:
Received this e-mail today from David Cain, Nashville:

I will assume that David does not mind me posting this publicly, as I know many of you know Fred. I did edit out the floor & room number that he's currently in, as visitors are not requested at this time anyway & any arrangements can be sent directly to the hospital (or you can PM me for specific details if you'd like).

I work at Vanderbilt University & Nashville VA, so I'd be happy to print out this thread & bring it to Fred if any of you would like to post your good wishes.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery,
Jim
Oh MY GOD!!!!
I just went diving with him on 09/08. I just can't believe that this happened to him. I love that man to death. He was telling me about his house he was going to build and where it would be and took me to lunch after he showed me the parts of the quarry I never get to see becuase I am helping with students. I am veteran and I need to go to VA tomorrow. Is he still there, would he mind a visit you think?
I am so in shock.
Sincerely
Bridget E

Wish him well from all of us in Kentucky.

Chad

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

I called today to see if Fred was up to visitors and the nurses said that he had just left the hospital and they didn't know anything else!!! Talk to the family they said!!
Anyone know if he is ok will you please PM me and let me know how he is!!!PLEASE!!!

Was out at Martha's yesterday, and was talking to Sammy who is running the quarry now in Fred's absence.

First of all, the quarry IS OPEN and ACCEPTING BUSINESS. Let's try to help Fred out and keep it open as long as possible.

Fred is up and moving around. He has been transferred to a VA hospital in Louisville, KY for rehab. I am aware of the hospital and it does good work. I was not told a date of when Fred will be coming back. As many of you know, Fred is a very strong willed person, and had complained that at the Nashville VA hospital they were not giving him enough therapy, so he went AWOL for a bit and did his own therapy at the pool there.

Hope this helps....

Randy

He & has son even stole a wheelchair for a trip to Green Hills to have a book signed by General Tommy Franks. Gotta love it.

Jim

Thank Goodness!!!

I was so worried.
Thank you also for letting me know the quarry was open.

I was praying for him very hard yesterday after that seemed so hateful.

I was talking to the guys at my LDS Bluewater and they told me that Fred had had a stroke and was home now. I called him and he seems ok but said his left side is still parazled some and it will be a couple of months before he is back to normal. He never left Nashville, TN. He just left the hospital sooner than the VA wanted him too because they were not able to give him enough OT, and PT so he is going on his own to a civilian. He was not quite hisself but real close. I am sure he is tired and annoyed by this and thats how it sounded like. I told him that we would go diving together again whenever he was ready even if it was Dec and Freezing.

Our thought and prayers go out to Fred in great hopes for a full and quick recovery.
From the staff of Pennyroyal Scuba Blue Springs Resort.

Back
Top Bottom