Fourth Element's Under Garments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does/has anyone out here used Fourth Element's under garments? I found a stocking hat made by them and it was the warmest thing I've ever put on my head. I looked at their under garments at Extream Scuba in Ventura this past week and they felt really warm, but I'm looking for some feedback. If you used them, please tell me what you thought of them and if they are worth the money.

I've not tried them yet, but working on a boat I see hundreds of divers and from what I see their "Xerotherm Arctic" are starting to become the "standard" here off the coast of NJ.

My SO uses them, I know he's pretty happy with them...

I've dived the Arctics twice now. I think they'd be great for 50 degrees plus diving - they are so very comfortable.

But yesterday I dived in 42 degree water and used them as one of two layers under my regular fleece undies. I was plenty warm, but by themselves, or with a layer under them, I think they're best above 50 degrees.

im from ireland . and the water is cold here . between 7 and 11 degrees C .:(
I use the artic during the winter and the lighter extrem during the winter .all with a crushed neoreen dry suit .

i really feel warm and find that even when i get alittle damp or even wet i still feel warm . the forth element range is standard issue to the army , navy and police search and recovery units here . and them guys get the best gear .:wink:

in a nut shell if its undergarments your looking for if there not the best out there they have to be a close second at a good price .:D

I have Fourth Element Arctic Extremes and have done 2 back to back hour long dives in 47 degree water with air as a drysuit inflation gas - I was toasty. These were the first truly warm drysuit dives I have done in below 50 defree water. I wore a set of UnderArmour cold gear under the Arctics. They were much warmer and more flexible than the Andies, Bare and DUI that I have worn in the past. It did take more weight than I normally use to sink.

I have the Arctics too and I love them. They are very common in North East and Ontario waters where I dive - but I would agree with Rick. Most people wear them to about 45-50F but below that they start to be inadequate for longer dives (except for the exceptional combustion engines). They are absolutely gorgeous down to those temps tho. I use the top with lighter bottoms all summer in the thermoclines and then add the bottoms as it gets colder. They are great if you spring a leak because the garment tracks the water to the outside and you pretty much only notice you are wet when you are doffing your gear. Being a woman, I also love the fact that 4th Element has a two-part design, makes certain things easier - and the top and bottom do still stay in place underwater! Only complaint I have they do not put pockets on their suits which is weird. Come on!

I am eagerly awaiting reports on their new SubZero suit because I have been so happy with the Arctic. The garment also takes washing very well, great improvement compared to fickle thinsulates.

I've been considering these undies. From what I've seen on their site you are expected to layer the garments? What order do the layers go in? I had a chance to try on the Exotherm, is it? Size XL, and it fit very well even though I would think XL would be way to big for me. Does that mean if I want to layer them I need to buy XXL or larger? What can you expect to pay for these undies? Piiki, where do you get them in Ontario? I live in Nova Scotia.

I've been considering these undies. From what I've seen on their site you are expected to layer the garments? What order do the layers go in? I had a chance to try on the Exotherm, is it? Size XL, and it fit very well even though I would think XL would be way to big for me. Does that mean if I want to layer them I need to buy XXL or larger? What can you expect to pay for these undies? Piiki, where do you get them in Ontario? I live in Nova Scotia.

The way I've seen people layer is Exo next to skin and Arctic on top of that. I would think most people get both layers in same size - except when you are at the verge of two sizes or for some reason prefer one or the other garment to be way looser to fit things underneath. I've not seen anyone layer 3 layers of 4th E products yet :)

I think there are now several places in ON that sell 4th Element. I got mine at DiveTech in Mallorytown, they carry all sizes in shop. I know at least Burton's in Ottawa sells them, and I think NTD in Kingston.

Would you still need some type of moisture wicking base layer thingy under the other two layers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom