Fourth Element Tech Fins review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I recieved my tech fins. Not much to say that everyone doesn't already know. Like any other tech fins that I have held they are built like a tank. Foot pocket is relatively soft.
I have used some Scuba Pro Jet fins before, but I usually dive with my Avanti Quattros. I also have a set of the "Rec" fins I purchased also. They seem pretty much identical to the Quattros. The foot packet my be a bit softer.
I have a dive scheduled on the 14th of this month. I will do my best to give them as thorough of a feel as I can. ITLt will be a very shallow bridge dive. The Blue Heron!

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a pair of Fourth Element Tech Fins. My preferred fins for the longest time have been Apeks RK3s and OMS Slipstreams. I want to make a comprehensive review soon and want to ask what are the typical characteristics of a good review you would want me to write about?

Thanks and hoping to make the full review soon.
How's the review coming along? Cheers

Good day to all,

Sorry for the delays in posting my review, have been quite busy with the peak season here in the Philippines.

Here's my review and comments of the fins:

These fins are a great pair for those who are looking for jet-style fins, but do not like the heavyness/rigidity of Scubapro Jets, and feel that the Apeks RK3 / OMS Slipstream. They sit well in the middle of those 3 fins. In terms of dry weight, they weigh pretty similar to the OMS Slipstream however they are negatively buoyant, just not as negative as SP Jets.

For comparison, L size FE Tech Fins weight about 1.12kg per fin, which is about the same as Large OMS Slipstreams or M Apeks RK3s.

These fins are nice for mild to strong currents and what I like most about it is the varying softness of the rubber at the top of the foot pocket, which makes it comfortable to use. Since they are not as negative as SP Jets, I find keeping my trim a lot easier on these (I dive with a neutrally buoyant suit with thick booties so I am normally leg heavy with SP Jets). The foot pocket also supports more of the heel compared to SP Jets or OMS Slipstreams, but not as much as RK3s or SP Go Sport fins.

My only issue with these fins were that the tension of the spring straps they came with were pretty strong. So I had to immediately replace the springs with slightly larger ones. The L fins come with 30cm springs but since they mount further down the fins, they feel pretty tight. I replaced them with springs from XL size OMS Slipstreams which are also 30cm in length, but due to less tension, feel more comfortable to wear.

As for sizing, I am more or less a US 10.5-11, which is roughly equivalent to EU 44.5 or Asia 270-280cm. I normally dive with Gull 3mm hard sole or SP Delta 5mm boots. With the stock straps, feel a bit snug but changing the straps made it a lot better. The XL FE Tech Fins were too loose if wearing those booties, but I think would have fit if I were using thicker boots such as drysuit boots or FE Amphibian / Pelagic boots. I have long but narrow feet which make XL fins wiggle too much from side to side.

Would I recommend these fins? Well, yes and no. Yes because they fit and work really well for my dives in moderate to strong currents. But the price makes it a bit expensive (for us here in the Philippines, at least). Upon checking, it is an OEM design and so I have seen several manufacturers release the same pair (felt them too in person, and the materials and weight are exactly the same) for a lot less than the FE ones.

Have a great day guys and feel free to ask me more questions

Attachments

• FE.JPG
    FE.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 139
  • OMS.JPG
    OMS.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Fins.JPG
    Fins.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 140
I will not pretend that I can give a review like Scubajoe.t as it is very good and thorough review and I don't have the experience with other fins as he does. I did say I would chime in though with a review.

I can confirm they are less negatively buoyant than the SP Jets and as stated the springs are very strong. They worked just fine for me, but if my foot was just a hair longer I would have to swap springs for sure. I wear a size 10m shoe. They are not as stiff as the SP Jets and for me they have more comfortable foot pockets. Maybe they could just fit me better than the SP. I was in a moderate current tapering off as the dive progressed and was around a lot of objects, in tight places, and had no problem maneuvering with them in any way. They were very precise. Precise compared to my non tech Avanti Quattros anyway. I could not get the power from the frog kicks I am accustomed to with the Quattros, but the little flutter kicks were strong as hell. They provided plenty of power if needed. I felt no difference compared to the SP techs, but I have limited time in them and again, I've had the same quattros for decades!
Hope this helps!
I have the REC fins I need to try out, but assume they are exactly like the Quattros. Just not so worn out!

I bought a pair of these fins on impulse. They are ok. Comfortable, a little softer than I like but moderately stiff. Noticeably less power frog kicking in contrast to my wet suit champs the DR XTs. Not surprising though I guess given blade is both softer and shorter. Well built. If I did a lot of wreck diving they would be worth it but for open water non confined I'll stick with my XTs.

Never gonna be able to sell them, $230 AUD up in smoke🤦‍♂️

Oh, they would pack quite nicely given short blade.

And yes, as has been previously mentioned they are negative but not by a whole bunch.

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8062.jpeg

Both medium size.

I bought a pair of these fins on impulse. They are ok. Comfortable, a little softer than I like but moderately stiff. Noticeably less power frog kicking in contrast to my wet suit champs the DR XTs. Not surprising though I guess given blade is both softer and shorter. Well built. If I did a lot of wreck diving they would be worth it but for open water non confined I'll stick with my XTs.

Never gonna be able to sell them, $230 AUD up in smoke🤦‍♂️

Oh, they would pack quite nicely given short blade.

And yes, as has been previously mentioned they are negative but not by a whole bunch.

View attachment 806787
View attachment 806788

Both medium size.
Nice carpet.

Back
Top Bottom