Fourth Element Stealth Hybrid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaraL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a little advice ...I'm getting ready to buy a 4th Element Argonaut 2.0 Stealth drysuit but I can't figure out whether i should get the regular or hybrid version.

How do you decide between the two?

Do you plan on crawling along the bottom? Squeezing through caves? Then get the hybrid.

The Hyrbrid has the Stealth material on the top half and their trilam material for the bottom half.

If the diving conditions I mentioned above are not an issue for you then go with the full stealth material.

-Z

Do you plan on crawling along the bottom? Squeezing through caves? Then get the hybrid.

The Hyrbrid has the Stealth material on the top half and their trilam material for the bottom half.

If the diving conditions I mentioned above are not an issue for you then go with the full stealth material.

-Z
Thanks for the info. Me and two instructor colleagues have got new FE suits coming our way. Our DC (an FE main dealer) was keen for us to get one of each, the Flex, Stealth and Hybrid. I went for the Stealth and feel somewhat vindicated by your post. My current suit is a tough old crushed neoprene O3, which I'll keep for commercial and general muck diving whilst using the FE for swanning around looking pretty :cool:.

Thanks. So I gather that the stealth is less rugged but prettier than the flex (Hybrid part).
Same exposure protection, comfort?

Not planning on squeezing through caves but also not guaranteeing I won't come in contact with rocks from time to time ...

Thanks. So I gather that the stealth is less rugged but prettier than the flex (Hybrid part).

Not planning on squeezing through caves but also not guaranteeing I won't come in contact with rocks from time to time ...
Exposure protection should be the same. They're both trilams so only really designed to keep the water out whilst it's the thermals job to keep you warm.

With regards to ruggedness, although the Stealth is probably not as abrasion resistant, the sections most likely to make contact are suitably reinforced.

Don't know when you're ordering yours but mine should arrive in a few weeks and I'm planning to do a subjective review.

In terms of exposure protection, with properly fitted seals, and uncompromised material of the suit, either one will keep you dry...it is your undergarments that will keep you comfortably warm.

For the Argonaut 2.0, Fourth Element offers 3 versions:

the "Flex"

the "Stealth"

and the "Hybrid"

The "Flex" is made from a material that is a laminate of cordura bonded with butyl rubber. This material is more robust than the stealth material...it is more abrasion, cut, and snag resistant, but is is also heavier.

The material the "Stealth" suits are made from has a more supple hand than the Flex material. it is designed to be lighter in weight, and have some "give" with body movement adding to the comfort of the wearer.

The Hybrid suit uses the Stealth material for the upper half and the Flex material for the lower half....I would recommend this model if you planned on doing a lot of surf entries or had to scurry over rocky terrain to get to the entry points for your dives, as in both of those scenarious you might find yourself on all fours where the tougher material might be a benefit.

For cave and wreck penetration or lots of rugged entry/exit scenarios where maximum durability is a concern then the full Flex suit would be the recommendation.

For general recreational diving from a boat, calm to light surf entries, quarry/lake diving where heavy surf is not usually an issue, then the lighter weight + more supple Stealth suit is what I would recommend.

Base your decision on fit, purpose, and budget:

Fit - this is the most essential aspect to get right above anything else when it comes to exposure suits...if there is an area to compromise on, this is not it. A drysuit that does not fit properly is not comfortable to dive and is just a burden. When trying on suits, be sure to try them on with the type of undergarments you plan on wearing for warmth on your dives...then lie down on the floor and approximate diving body positions...,make sure the suit allows you as much range of motion as possible, with as little restriction as possible. Fit should always be the first consideration when buying a drysuit.

Purpose - think about how you will use your suit. Buying an extra-robust suit for casual recreational diving might not be the best option, especially if you think you might be traveling with the suit where baggage weight can be factor. Weight usually increases with robustness. Conversely, and ultra-light weight suit designed for travel might not be the best suit for daily use as the lighter weight material is more prone to damage.

Budget - Whether this should be the last consideration or the 2nd consideration is debatable. There is nothing wrong with setting a budget, and one should note that there are custom (made-to-measure) options available in the drysuit market that cost as much or less than some off-the-rack brands/models. Visit some shops or do some online research about what features are generally available for drysuits...then decide on the features you want (e.g., front zip vs. back zip, latex/neoprene/silicone seals, integrated boots vs, dryfabric socks, metal vs plastic dry zipper closure, Pee valve, etc.), decide how much you want to spend and whether or not the features you want will fit into your budget. Shop around for the a suit that fits well, has the features you want/need based on your budget, and will meet the purpose of your diving.

Hope that helps.

-Z

@Graeme Fraser have you got your drysuit yet mate? If so, what do you think?
Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike.

No, hopefully arriving in the next week or two. Two of my colleagues are getting theirs on Tuesday, but mine was slightly delayed as my first biomap image didn't work properly. Looking forward to it though.

I'll be sure to let you know what it's like.

Regards. G

Awesome, thanks mate.
Hi Mike et Al.

Picked up my Stealth a couple of days ago and just about to head out on my first dive with it.

First impressions: this thing really is a work of art. Quality and attention to detail is a thing of beauty, although it should be at the price. I'm nearly too scared to dive it.

Spent yesterday trying it on with different thermals and setting up the ellipse dryglove system which was pretty straightforward. I also took the plunge and removed the replaceable silicone neck seal so I could trim about 10 mil off. This was surprisingly easy and gave me confidence that I could do an 'in field' replacement if need be. YouTube tip, if you need to trim the seal, removing it from the suit, stretching over a small diameter 7 litre cylinder and slicing with a very sharp blade in one continuous cut whilst rolling the tank works a treat. No nicks.

Also picked up the Halo 3d thermal, which is FE's coldest thermal offering. It has extra dense padding on the front 'cold spots'. Additional bonus, I reckon it could stop a high calibre bullet, this thing is sooo solid. Anyway, going to wait till the air temp drops a bit before using it otherwise I'll probably pass out. Double bonus, if the wife finds out how much this lot costs, the Halo is definitely warm enough for a few nights sleeping al fresco.

I'll update further post dive :thumb:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom