Fourth Element Exotherm vs AquaLung MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today was my first "colder" water dive at the local quarry's last day of the season.

I've done all previous dives in an AL MK2 fleece onesie, wearing UnderArmour leggings, plus a wicking short sleeve t-shirt from REI with a matching long sleeve shirt, under the MK2. Decided what I had wouldn't be enough for colder water, so I got the Fourth Element Exotherm top and bottom.

Today air temp was about 55F with a stiff breeze. Water temp was around 60F. Two dives about 90 minutes apart (45 minutes for first dive and maybe 30 minutes for second). I just wore the Exotherm without another layer. That was a mistake. I was definitely chilly as soon as I got in the water, even with some air in my drysuit. My feet were toasty from the Fourth Element Arctic fleece lined socks, and I had dry gloves. I just used the yellow knit liners. They were OK, but next time I'll wear a fleece liner glove for these temps.

I've tried layering the Xerotherm under the MK2 at home and tried my suit on. It was definitely warm and fuzzy, but my arm range of motion was somewhat restricted.

I've got a regular wicking polypro winter layer, but the legs ride up since they don't have stirrups when I've tried them at home under both the MK2 and the Xerotherm. The UnderArmour leggings also ride up under the Xerotherm. I need bottoms with a stirrup foot.

The complicating factor is that I'm about a size too large for all of the women's size charts I've looked at. I'm short (5'5") and round, which is why I had to go with a custom drysuit. The MK2 fits almost perfectly in arm and leg length. I got the unisex Xerotherm, but it's a bit long in legs and arms, but I can deal with it.

Any ideas for a base layer?

I use the bare SB base layer with the exotherm in a 62 degree spring. I usually get chilly after 45 minutes. I did it with a 4th element arctic over the bare base for an hour 15 today and was fine other then my chest, as I forgot to zip it up before going in...

But temp sensitivity is very personal.

The bare base layer is kind of pricy, but I like it. I think 4th element has a lighter base layer than the exotherm, but I haven't looked at it.

I use Icebreaker merino wool baselayers under Fourth Element Arctics (good to 10C) or Halo 3Ds (for temps below 10C). The baselayers have no stirrups but I tuck them under trekking socks before putting the outer layers on (preventing them from riding up).

I concur that putting your base layer pants on and then your socks will keep everything down and snug, no need for stirrups..

Layering can be handy, but the more layers, the more things have to slide against each other and the more binding there is.

When it's cold water (like my local quarry that is 37 - 42 on the bottom, depending on the time of year), I wear Fourth Element Arctic gear. Socks, leggings, and shirt. I wear some thin Merino wool socks under the Arctic socks. And I wear a thing, long-sleeve Bare base layer shirt under the Arctic shirt. I have found no need to wear anything under the leggings (except some wicking boxer briefs).

To my surprise, on this weekend's boats I was on up in NJ, it appeared that approximately half the divers on the boat both days were all wearing FE Arctic gear, and one guy had FE Halo 3D.

Since you're close to DRiS and they're a FE dealer, I would definitely recommend going there and trying on just an Arctic top and leggings - at least without the base layer on your legs that is causing you problems.

I concur that putting your base layer pants on and then your socks will keep everything down and snug, no need for stirrups..

I actually don't wear any socks under the Fourth Element socks, which are enough on their own. FE socks are so thick, they go on the outside of bottoms.

Layering can be handy, but the more layers, the more things have to slide against each other and the more binding there is.

When it's cold water (like my local quarry that is 37 - 42 on the bottom, depending on the time of year), I wear Fourth Element Arctic gear. Socks, leggings, and shirt. I wear some thin Merino wool socks under the Arctic socks. And I wear a thing, long-sleeve Bare base layer shirt under the Arctic shirt. I have found no need to wear anything under the leggings (except some wicking boxer briefs).

To my surprise, on this weekend's boats I was on up in NJ, it appeared that approximately half the divers on the boat both days were all wearing FE Arctic gear, and one guy had FE Halo 3D.

Since you're close to DRiS and they're a FE dealer, I would definitely recommend going there and trying on just an Arctic top and leggings - at least without the base layer on your legs that is causing you problems.

I'll try the Arctic top and leggings. I'm going to be diving Lake Michigan and Lake Huron next season, and suspect I will need them!

I ended up getting the Fourth Element Arctic today. They didn't have the short in my size, but it's on order and I should have it before my trip to Gilboa the first weekend in December (that was just scheduled today).

I ended up getting the Fourth Element Arctic today. They didn't have the short in my size, but it's on order and I should have it before my trip to Gilboa the first weekend in December (that was just scheduled today).

You will love it :wink: Sorry I was in our instructor meeting and couldn't help you. I know Chris is such a pain to deal with :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom