Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six years ago 5 divers lost at sea in Malpelo, Colombia. Three divers tried to swim to the island. Two divers (DM and the 4th diver) decided to wait for the dinghy.

One of the three divers, Peter Morse, who tried to swim to the island, succeeded to reach the island that evening. Peter was rescued by a liveaboard, Yemaya, which happened to moor in on the island on the next day.

The liveaboard, Maria Patricia, which had lost the 5 divers, never reported to the ranger station on the island nor to Colombian Navy until Yemaya contacted Maria Patricia.

Two of the three divers who tried to swim to the island, gave up swimming and floating away with current and never caught up with the DM & the 4th divers. 2 days later, US Navy plane spotted these two divers and asked Colombian Navy to rescue them.

The DM & the 4th diver were never rescued. A body found later that was identified as the 4th diver. The DM was never found.

So, again, I vote for staying together.

I don’t think I would survive lost at sea for more than 24 hours. So, after reading this incident, I went and got me this little gizmo.

DB3ACBA0-02FD-4BDB-8CDE-EDC80AF7859A.jpeg

Most PLBs have a 24-hour strobe built in that is activated when you set off the alarm. Be sure your contact person on your registration knows your trip details.

Between trips, I keep mine in my car

Have you ever test fired that horn? Duck your head underwater when you do.
I have not yet attached or used it on a dive (surface or submerged) but have been warned about that aspect and technique before. I did test it at home with ear protection and it was still quite loud - so duely noted!

So, again, I vote for staying together.
If you have a PLB, you'll probably be the only one in the group with one, so it would behoove them to tie themselves to you.

If you fire your PLB, then the battery will need to be replaced, but if it's an ACR product including the little PLB1, you can return it to them with a good rescue story. They'll send you a new one at no charge and put yours on their trophy wall.

The battery also has to be replaced if fired by accident or at the end of life. Cost by a reputable facility that also tests the unit is over $100.

If you have a PLB, you'll probably be the only one in the group with one, so it would behoove them to tie themselves to you.

If you fire your PLB, then the battery will need to be replaced, but if it's an ACR product including the little PLB1, you can return it to them with a good rescue story. They'll send you a new one at no charge and put yours on their trophy wall.

The battery also has to be replaced if fired by accident or at the end of life. Cost by a reputable facility that also tests the unit is over $100.
Any benefit to the ResQlink 400 over the PLB1?

I dont understand, why the boy is split from the group?

The DM/ instructor made a swim for an island. Ok.

So there are 3 divers left. Why did they loose the boy? Was the dad one of the missing divers? So if he says his son is death, he saw how he died? And let him drift? That is understandable. But why did it take 2 days to tell him his boy is not alive?

Seems odd, maybe i missed something?

I dont understand, why the boy is split from the group?
He died.
Was the dad one of the missing divers?
Yes.
And let him drift?
As physically stressed as the father and the French girl were after 2½ days with no water, I guess it was all they could do to keep together. I don't think I would have lived two days without water; glad they did.
But why did it take 2 days to tell him his boy is not alive?
It didn't.
Seems odd, maybe i missed something?
Much of the thread it seems.

Any benefit to the ResQlink 400 over the PLB1?
The PLB1 has a longer standby battery life but will not float unless it's attached to the flotation pouch. The 400 has more modern technology and I think an additional set of satellites. It also has an infrared strobe. If you study the specs, you may find other differences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom