Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very few divers I've seen here even carry SMBs though, let alone PLBs.
We're well into the 21st century. Some things need to change.
You mean this tiny quick connect?
There are several types of quick connects, for hoses, etc. Amazone links are difficult to post. These...??

OP/TECH USA 1301082 Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm - System Connectors , Black​

These:

PhotoTrust 4 Sets Mini QD Loops 1mm System Connectors Quick Neck Strap Adapter Quick Release Compatible with Fujifilm Samsung Sony Olympus Panasonic Canon Nikon Pentax Brand: Photo Trust
4.4 out of 5 stars70Reviews

Amazon's Choicefor "mini qd loops"
here are several types of quick connects, for hoses, etc. Amazone links are difficult to post. These...??

OP/TECH USA 1301082 Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm - System Connectors , Black​

Most dive operators I've dived with have more than one crew member on the boat. This sort of excursion with a single boat captain and a small group is likely the exception rather than the rule.
The main question I've been wondering about is whether the instructor was working freelance. If she works at a dive centre then there would normally be more than one crew member on the boat with perhaps 2 or 3 groups of divers, each with their own dive guide.

If the instructor, the oil executive, anyone had, and they stayed together, it would have been over quickly. I don't know about registering a PLB in your country, I suppose it can be done it varies with countries, but even if a foreign registered PLB had been activated, then communications could have happened. The locals were already looking for them so the state department that got the original alert could have sent messages to tell them where to find them.

If no one had reported them missing, things would have worked much slower as 90% of PLB alerts are butt-dials, but things still could have developed. I still think that the first thing to do in such a case is to tie all divers together into a group. As someone mentioned, reg hoses tied to D rings would work. A group is easier to spot than a single diver, and then you find them all.

Yeah, having a meth-head for a driver was very unfortunate, but at least he did report them missing instead of running away.
We use the trusty "sausage" here. Never met a dive leader who didn't hv one or used one when neccessary. I carry one but only had to use it four times in the last 5 years.

Boat skipper couldn't see is with choppy waves about 100m-200m away in all 4 instances due to strong surface currents..

Essential device for all divers.

Nobody I knoe carries electronic emergency devices.

If the instructor, the oil executive, anyone had, and they stayed together, it would have been over quickly. I don't know about registering a PLB in your country, I suppose it can be done it varies with countries, but even if a foreign registered PLB had been activated, then communications could have happened. The locals were already looking for them so the state department that got the original alert could have sent messages to tell them where to find them.

If no one had reported them missing, things would have worked much slower as 90% of PLB alerts are butt-dials, but things still could have developed. I still think that the first thing to do in such a case is to tie all divers together into a group. As someone mentioned, reg hoses tied to D rings would work. A group is easier to spot than a single diver, and then you find them all.

Yeah, having a meth-head for a driver was very unfortunate, but at least he did report them missing instead of running away.
That's what i would hv done given:.

-strenght/direction of currents
-weather conditions which hv been poor
-a 14 & 18 year old in the group with no experience in handling extremely difficult/challenging situations like this
-high probability of being found due to high frequency of trawlers/ships/boats in the area

ValidThe main question I've been wondering about is whether the instructor was working freelance. If she works at a dive centre then there would normally be more than one crew member on the boat with perhaps 2 or 3 groups of divers, each with their own dive g

Valid questions

That's what i would hv done given:.

-strenght/direction of currents
-weather conditions which hv been poor
-a 14 & 18 year old in the group with no experience in handling extremely difficult/challenging situations like this
-high probability of being found due to high frequency of trawlers/ships/boats in the area

ValidThe main question I've been wondering about is whether the instructor was working freelance. If she works at a dive centre then there would normally be more than one crew member on the boat with perhaps 2 or 3 groups of divers, each with their own dive g

Valid questions
Do we know about the experience level of any of the divers? Do we know if the instructor was doing a fun dive in stead of teaching?

Maybe I missed something, but otherwise these are just assumptions. Please educate me if I missed some info.

One of the news reports stated they were doing AOW course but this hasn't been confirmed. Seems the police hasn't interrogated the dive instructor yet.
Fingers crossed they find the boy alive as well, and then they can focus on trying to find out what really happened and what contributed to this unfortunate event.

In the best case scenario, a 14 years old boy is alone at sea. Terrifying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom