Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The alert doesn't go to the PLB vendor. You can get the details from google, but the SAR system is kept in tight communication.

Two things can help speed things along: The dive op or someone alerts local authorities as happened in this case so when the alert hits the system, a search if already underway. Otherwise, they will call the contacts on your registration to see if they know anything. I try to remind my daughter to tell them that I am careful with mine so as not to activate it by accident so it must be a real alert, and to let her know where I am traveling.

It's 5pm there, over three days. Hoping some boat has already picked him up.
The video posted earlier clearly diagrammed a SAR coordination center - Now which one would that be if you were say diving in Indo and APAC region?

The video posted earlier clearly diagrammed a SAR coordination center - Now which one would that be if you were say diving in Indo and APAC region?
That was the SAR field center Johor for this incident.

Update.

Very sad news potentially. Still keeping hopes up that he may yet be found alive.

Come on lad! Hold on a little longer!

Attachments

• 552805DA-5DCE-42D3-B163-7FA6D6FFA0D8.png
    552805DA-5DCE-42D3-B163-7FA6D6FFA0D8.png
    155 KB · Views: 123
Update.

Very sad news potentially. Still keeping hopes up that he may yet be found alive.

Come on lad! Hold on a little longer!
Press release said the father confirmed the son has perished. Now is the search for the body with Indonesian assistance. Very sad indeed.

Very sad news for the diving community.

Father confirms his son has passed away.

Malaysia now requesting Indonesia and Singapore to assist with search.

Attachments

• 5DE5F579-E571-4376-B89D-7BE8067601DC.png
    5DE5F579-E571-4376-B89D-7BE8067601DC.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 128
  • CC03FC3A-5909-4F3D-B051-3792E7DCEE46.png
    CC03FC3A-5909-4F3D-B051-3792E7DCEE46.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 82464724-D9BB-4D91-A1B4-94E78AF54D14.png
    82464724-D9BB-4D91-A1B4-94E78AF54D14.png
    195 KB · Views: 107
Press release said the father confirmed the son has perished. Now is the search for the body with Indonesian assistance. Very sad indeed.
Tragic. Rip young man 🙏

Awful news. I guess that explains the decision to call off the search early, plus the fact that they were in Indonesian waters. RIP young man.

I'm curious to see what the review into diving operations there flags up. The royal families have a fair bit of clout.

Awful news. I guess that explains the decision to call off the search early, plus the fact that they were in Indonesian waters. RIP young man.

I'm curious to see what the review into diving operations there flags up. The royal families have a fair bit of clout.

What I fear is an over reaction when sensible & better diving practices would ensure something like this doesn't happen.

I can't see anything that the dive op did wrong compared to other locations. Having a meth-head boat pilot was the first problem I think as he should have followed their bubbles better and been on the lookout, but I've seen failures elsewhere. I'd like to know if the instructor had and tried an SMB, but I'd also encourage all DMs to carry a signal mirror, Storm whistle, and reg whistle. Reg whistles are the loudest, but if out of air, Storm whistles are rather loud. Drifting divers happen tho, and I still think it's important to keep the group tied together, like reg hoses tied to D-rings. Maybe her heroic attempt to try to swim for help was a good idea, but I'm against breaking from the group.

I can't see anything that the dive op did wrong compared to other locations. Having a meth-head boat pilot was the first problem I think as he should have followed their bubbles better and been on the lookout, but I've seen failures elsewhere. I'd like to know if the instructor had and tried an SMB, but I'd also encourage all DMs to carry a signal mirror, Storm whistle, and reg whistle. Reg whistles are the loudest, but if out of air, Storm whistles are rather loud. Drifting divers happen tho, and I still think it's important to keep the group tied together, like reg hoses tied to D-rings. Maybe her heroic attempt to try to swim for help was a good idea, but I'm against breaking from the group.

I tend to agree with you on this.

Let's wait for more information from the other 2 divers and the dive leader's version to better understand.

Back
Top Bottom