Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are in the navy and in signals, 99.99% of civilians won't understand morse code.
Probably true. Even so, I'd rather have the means to signal SOS than not. One of my flashlights has a setting for SOS. On my boat, my e-Flare also flashes SOS.

It's not exactly critical that the receiver understands the message. It's more important that the receiver understands that there is some sort of pattern to those flashes, which would indicate something that is man-made. It was mentioned that longline beacons also use strobes. I would hope they would just be a regular strobe flash, not the SOS pattern.

This incident has definitely got me thinking about how I could lash divers together if I needed to. On my typical dives, I believe I would be in good shape, but it's good to think about. I first thought about the line on my DSMB. That could work, but might not be strong enough. In a pinch, though it could be doubled up, and is better than nothing. I then started thinking about what else. I usually dive with about a length of 400 lb test monofilament. That should work. I have it in two different configurations. One is the line on my speargun that usually isn't used. The other is a small section I use to be able to clip off my stringer. So, if it's just me and one other diver, I'd use the small section and clip to a D ring on my BC, and one on my buddy's. If more divers, the line on the speargun would be useful. That should work to keep the divers together until help can be summoned.

There are other ways to strap each other, other than using DSMB line or the above method. I can unstrap my BCD right shoulder strap, loop it around my dive buddy BCD left shoulder strap, for example. The straps are adjustable for comfort too.
When floating, I want my BC to fit snuggly, so I wouldn't want to loosen it much nor would I want my buds to be too close. A jonline, named after Jon Hulbert, who is credited with its invention, would be better. Also handy to hang from a downline on safety or deco stop, or to keep a bud attached in zero viz. I carry one a SB buddy made for me a decade ago, made from a nylon strap with loops on both ends. Several companies sell overpriced models, but this one is not bad at $15: Why are Amazon URLs blocked? Search their site for Premium Technical Scuba Diving Diver Jon Line 1" 7.2ft Webbing & Pouch Snap

Unless you are in the navy and in signals, 99.99% of civilians won't understand morse code.
Morse code yes -but SOS signal code id say is very commonly known particularly in the 50+ age group

I just learned about this case, it's not been reported in any Indo media that I know of. You seem to have followed the case closely. You can actually report to Divers Alert Network (DAN) - they compile dive accident database and it will be a valuable learning experience for the dive community. Anyone can send in a report, and send it in anonymously (news clipping and corroborating information need to accompany your report). Crowdsourcing data. If they have enough information, they will do an analysis and case discussion of an accident.

I unfortunately can't do this as I am in the middle of a major audit for my firm but perhaps someone can assist with this.

Morse code yes -but SOS signal code id say is very commonly known particularly in the 50+ age group

Majority of people on trawlers can barely read/write (indonesians for example) whatmore understand sos signals.

It may work with trained tug boat skippers/cargo ship crews maybe....but certainly not with the everyday fisherman out here, esp in the dark.

Fishermen here have to contend with a number of problems along this very, very busy waterway:

Massive container cargo ships passing thru, pirates pretending to be patrol boats...etc. It is a very, very busy shipping lane once you move 100km down south from where they were diving closer to the N/E/E and N/E as well as Eastern shores of Singapore down south towards Bintan Island.

You literally can throw a stone from the water and have a good % of hitting a boat/ship/trawler in the near distances. Its that busy.

It's very scary stuff. Absolute nightmare for the father. He's going to replay this situation over in his head a billion times. I know I would.

I have limited experience diving with my kids (12, 15, 17, 23). Less than 30 dives with any one them. They're all different. The 15 year old is the most cautious but also the most nervous. His ability to act rationally when panic gets the best of him goes out the window. I can 100% see that if him and I were in this situation trying to get him to survive just wouldn't work. He would burn himself out with panic. In the blink of an eye he would go under in the dark, too week from anxiety, and that would be it.

My condolences to the father and to the family. It's heartbreaking because you know that they were just starting to go on adventures together, and really it was no fault of their own that this happened. You're in a class, you think you're relatively safe.

Probably going to hug my kids a lot tighter tonight:(.

I have given this a lot of thought over the past 48 hours.

1-The weather patterns have been off whack the past 3 months....we didn't have a dry season over here like we traditionally do in Brunei as well as in Sabah/Sarawak/West Malaysia in January-March.

April itself has also been a strange month as the rains traditionally begin in mid to end April but...not anymore.

Global warming? Maybe. I shall leave it to the experts to comment.

2-A lot of other things have changed. Patterns are not what they were. Currents are a lot stronger and abnormal in my humble opinion.

3-In normal circumstances, I would NOT take a 14 year old and an 18 year old out to open sea for a dive with the current weather conditions what they are at the moment in West Malaysia and East Malaysia even for an advanced open water course. I would conduct it near to the coast and try to ensure it was a conservative dive away from currents, etc.

A lot of questions will be asked if she (the DM) did conduct a serious risk assessment before heading out to their dive site and if she studied the currents/tidal patterns and weather conditions in the lead up to the dive trip.

However, we must accept the fact these were abnormal circumstances IF we are to believe that:

a) the boat was not where it was supposed to be
b) the boat skipper was high on drugs at the time and was not situationally aware of what was going on
c) the boat skipper did not/does not understand how the currents are and did not conduct a sweep to locate the divers

As there is no formal report yet or interviews in great detail, we can only assume.

I would say 9 times out of 10, the planning by a DL is sound and as a parent and diver, you too will also make your own assessment before sending the kids into the water and 99% of the time, there is never an issue.

I would say whatever has happened did happen because of a number of failures that we must learn from.

Dive safe but..don't let this tragedy prevent your kids from an adventure.

The differentiation from the normal strobe may be enough to have someone check what is going on, if seen, I would.

This incident has definitely got me thinking about how I could lash divers together if I needed to. On my typical dives, I believe I would be in good shape, but it's good to think about. I first thought about the line on my DSMB. That could work, but might not be strong enough.

I use nylon Mason line on my reel, it has a 600 to 700 pound breaking strength. But one would have to be carrying a dsmb and reel to have it.

If I was on a trip I would also be carrying a Jon line, locally I always carry a lift bag and a couple of lengths of 1/4" line, in case I find something worth keeping.

The differentiation from the normal strobe may be enough to have someone check what is going on, if seen, I would.

Yes, I am sure you, I and some others probably would. But as @The Wolf said "Majority of people on trawlers can barely read/write (indonesians for example) whatmore understand sos signals." And I might add - having spent many many years diving well offshore throughout the Asian region - would they give a damn about flashing lights except to stay well clear. We even kept well clear of flashing lights, or the few times we did inadvertantly approach one too close usually ended up in some kind of long net 'entaglement'. And the amount of 'flashing lights' of several colours (and the amount of 'lit up' fishing boats) at night in the South China Sea and Java Sea (and a lesser degree Malacca Strait) really does have to be seen to be believed!

So yes, if 'yours' was the only flashing light out there in a black night, folks would be drawn to it like flies, but thats just not the case throuought Asia.

Why are Amazon URLs blocked? Search their site for Premium Technical Scuba Diving Diver Jon Line 1" 7.2ft Webbing & Pouch Snap
Or, if you search google for that term, you'll find it sold from several sites, even Walmart, at various prices, some with free shipping. This site sells it for $4.06, $10.54 including shipping, but it may come from somewhere in Asia and take a few weeks. It doesn't say. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000034408753.html

When floating, I want my BC to fit snuggly, so I wouldn't want to loosen it much nor would I want my buds to be too close. A jonline, named after Jon Hulbert, who is credited with its invention, would be better. Also handy to hang from a downline on safety or deco stop, or to keep a bud attached in zero viz. I carry one a SB buddy made for me a decade ago, made from a nylon strap with loops on both ends. Several companies sell overpriced models, but this one is not bad at $15: Why are Amazon URLs blocked? Search their site for Premium Technical Scuba Diving Diver Jon Line 1" 7.2ft Webbing & Pouch Snap
I have plenty of options to connect me to my buddies, like line from DSMB with spool, SPG HP hose with clip on to D ring, Octopus with clip on to D-ring, camera leash on to D-ring, PLB1 canister leash on to D-ring, Reef hook line (6’ long, 1/4” rock-climbing nylon line with quick snap clip on each end), etc.

I’m just referring to divers who don’t have any of those things on their gears. Divers who just have BCD and regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom