Four Dives/One Day.. too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only do four in cold water off a liveaboard, where I don't have to drive, cook, or anything else.

Of course, if the dives are 20 minutes long, that's a different story.

Warm water? No problem.

Did someone say.....Nitrox? I find that when I cram dives into a long day I feel much better when I dive an appropriate Nitrox mix. Actually I feel better on a 2 dive day when I use Nitrox as my gas.

Four shore dives from the Breakwater might be doable, especially if you park in the lower section. At the end of the third dive, I'm guessing that you will question if you really want to do the fourth dive. Now, if you have to walk over the monster berries at Monastery Beach, then I'll say three dives maximum. Did two dives at the southern section with Eellenoff two weeks ago. Both of us are in fairly good shape we were pretty winded after going over the steep gradients of that beach. I still can't believe how he managed an LP95 and a huge canister light (mad skills for sure)!

If you're a Point Lobos and the conditions are spectacular, then you'll probably wish for additional tanks. :)

C.

I concur with everything said. It's definitely do-able. Just stay within your physical comfort zone and mind your NDLs (nitrox may be quite helpful, depending on your profiles). Getting your weighting just right and setting things up to minimize the surface swims and the distance between the water and your car will help a lot, too.

Like many other people here, I've frequently dived four days per day in warm water with no trouble at all. I don't have quite the same stamina in Monterey water...

Happy diving!

I have done 6 dives a day on Southern California Charter boats during lobster season.

Get up and eat some cereal and drink coffee
7:00 am before breakfast dive
Breakfast
10:00 am another spot
Snack
1:00 pm another spot
lunch
3:00 ish another spot
snacks
6:00 dusk dive at night anchor spot
Dinner
8:30 pm night dive at same spot

Water temp in the mid to high 50's to low 60's depending on what island, what side, and how deep.
Diving wet with a steel 120 continuously refilled with 32% nitrox.

Sleep like a baby.

Get up and do it all over again.

Gallery of California Backpack Divers : 1999-2001

You could do 4 shore dives in a day no problem, if you worked up to it.

I have done 6 dives a day on Southern California Charter boats during lobster season.

Water temp in the mid to high 50's to low 60's depending on what island, what side, and how deep.
Diving wet with a steel 120 continuously refilled with 32% nitrox.

Sleep like a baby.

Get up and do it all over again.

My record was 7 without the final night dive. We did however, start at 0200 which involves a long story. It was also on the Peace. I must admit that beach dives will take a lot more out of me than boat dives.

Back to the OP's question. If I were staying in town that night I would go for three or four then may be pick up one in the morning depending on the evenings entertainment.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I can only do four in cold water off a liveaboard, where I don't have to drive, cook, or anything else.

Of course, if the dives are 20 minutes long, that's a different story.

Warm water? No problem.

yikes - didn't notice I'd wandered into the Norcal forum via the new posts filter........I probably would freeze to death after just one dive!

I once did four day dives in Monterey in a wetsuit in February, at four different shore sites (and three the next day before heading home), so it's definitely doable. But it was the weekend after I got certified so I was highly motivated, I'd never been to most of them before, and my dives were typically shorter than now, say 30-35 minutes each.

Nowadays, diving dry, I usually do two or at most 3 longer and/or deeper dives a day, if at the same shore site. Partly that's due to it being more of a hassle to get in and out of my drysuit and pack everything away before moving to another site; leaving it on saves some time -- I'd always leave the wetsuit on. I also know a lot more divers now, so more time is consumed in conversation.

Three is easily possible (especially on a sunny day), assuming an early start and two dives before noon, followed by a long lunch SI and an afternoon dive (night optional). But you will almost certainly have to take a nap either before driving or else pulling over during the drive home; Betabel/Y Road was the point where my nodding off usually got dangerous. Diving Nitrox helps some people avoid this.

Guy

As others have said, it depends on the conditions and the dive profiles.
We just got back from a 2 week trip to Cancun. We traveled to Cozumel one day and did 3 dives off Punta Sur. We traveled to the Cenotes twice and did 1 each in Angelita and Grand Cenote (2 tank day because of the travel time and the depth of Angelita) and the other day we did 2 in Dos Ojos and 1 in Tajma Ha. The days we dove around Cancun (no travel...) we did 4 per day. As long as you're careful of the profiles there's no reason not to do 4-5 per day, if you want.
Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and staying hydrated, of course. And if you feel tired, then stop. You're not going to enjoy the dives much anyway, if you're tired.

As a dive guide,I worked(dive) 93 days without a day off using 32% Nitrox,3 to 4 dives daily. That's 300+ back rows, loading/unloading 60+ tanks in up to ten dive boats,washing equipment,signing log books,and walking (2) miles uphill both ways to/from the hotel. That was last year in Palau/Peleliu (including Shark Week) which ain't no calm little wadin' pool. "Hook on & Hold on" I live & breathe diving ya'll & hope to celebrate my 60th B-day(wet) next year.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom