Fossil or Sharktooth dive Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblejunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
A few friends of mine are interested in doing a dive to look for shark teeth and other fossils, Can any one point me in the right direction. I'm mainly interested in boat diving, I would try the beach if it's seems feasible? I'll pay for gas of course if someone wants to take there boat. Thanks alot

As Andy said, several of us dive Venice beach for sharks' teeth. If you're interested in doing that from a boat, Florida West Scuba School (http://www.floridawestscuba.com/) takes trips out to the Boneyard and apparently does pretty well (at least I've never heard any complaints).

If you can't make it the weekend in the link above, just post on here. I can pretty much guarantee you'll find a buddy famaliar with Venice. PM me if you'd like, I go there pretty much every weekend I'm not diving elsewhere.

Also, do a search for "alhambra", and you'll find directions to the most popular spot around for teeth.

Yea let me know I'll drive over and do a beach dive. I'm trying to find something to do this weekend. Is taking a small john boat off the beach worth the hassle. Thanks

I can't make it this weekend, but you might want to ask Walter or Cbulla - they go there all the time too.

If you have a john boat (with a motor), you could make it out to the boneyard, which is where Florida West would take you to find teeth. The boneyard is about 1/2 mile offshore - close enough to tease, far enough to really need a boat of some sort. That being said, I'm not sure where the nearest boat ramp is, but I know there's one close.

Where is the boneyard? I can swim ½ mile and if I'm feeling lazy, I can always use my Torpedo.

The boneyard is off the beach about 1/2 mile offshore ssw from the pipes at alhambra. You'll almost always see a boat anchored up there. If you take a drive to FL West's shop and walk in and look around you'll see what the find there.

The depth is not much more than what we usually dive in, the actual size of the area I dont know. In talking to some of the locals who dive there regular (and are members of the Florida Outdoors Adventure Group) and they sort of explained how the clay bottom moved out and what to look for.

While talking about the boneyard, does anyone have bearings off of buildings/landmarks, so you know you got there?? Also, some people told me of a "reef" around Venice, whereabouts is that? I guess you could make it out to the boneyard in 10-15 mins at a casual stroke for 1/2 mile, but i agree a boat would be a whole lot easier!! How much for the trips with FL West? Although i didnt feel any long shore current diving off the beach, would there be anything like currents to worry about that far out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom