Forum behavior: Split from "Newly Certified Diver OOA at Gilboa"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

The Voice of Reason
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
It fascinate me how often well meaning instructors, divemaster, and divemaster candidate wants to share their own experience, so that they can learn from others and others can learn from them.

Then you get some total a$$ who comes in thinking that they are saint from high heaven who simply say - you are a what, and you did what?? You know, we all make mistake. We all did stupid things. We all learn from it all. A very experienced course director told me once how he "bolted" to the surface (as some a$$) would call it when he tried to stretch his tank to finish a lesson. Oh, yes.... why didn't you want to reach for the student's octo? No, the surface of a pool is alot closer, and less embarrassing too than reaching for another's octo. Gosh darn it... hind sight, for me, it was embarrassing. Demonstrating to the student exactly what they shouldn't do. In actuality, my mind did think, and worked correctly - the surface is 6 ft above, why not go for it?

I've heard it all here before - you are a doctor, and you did what? You are a dive instructor, and you let your son did that? You are a so, and so, and you can't even spell clotrimazole? Make fun of instructor, doctors, DM, and DM candidate? All it does is tell us how arrogant and a jerk one is on this board.

Sure, I sat down with my instructor yesterday, and discussed with him how I feel very unprepared to be a DM. He said, just spend more time with the students. I agree with him - the best way to learn to be a good instructor or DM is simply being around students. You'll see every conceivable defects in diving gear with those rental closets. As we have discussed on this board many time - a DM candidate, or a DM for that matter - means very little in the quality of a diver.

Why don't you god given saints just go back to cozy heaven, where all goes well - and all is perfect. And let us normal human beings, full of our defects - discuss our defects here we we can learn and others can too. I can't help it if my IQ is closer to a rock than yours - but GOD forbid if you ever made a mistake in your life.

That's quite a rant, Doc. At the risk of being that jerk, don't you think physicians should accept a little extra responsibility--beyond that of the laity--when posting medical opinions in a public forum? With so little to go on, I assess the education of posters partly by the grammar and spelling of their posts. And with so much quackery out there, a well-written and well-reasoned post is a great way to distinguish your opinion from the crowd.

That's quite a rant, Doc. At the risk of being that jerk, don't you think physicians should accept a little extra responsibility--beyond that of the laity--when posting medical opinions in a public forum? With so little to go on, I assess the education of posters partly by the grammar and spelling of their posts. With so much quackery out there, a well-written and well-reasoned post is a great way to distinguish your opinion from the crowd.

That is the whole point, vladimir, is that one should not trust an opinion in a public forum. To be honest with you, as English is my second language, my grammar doesn't come natural - so accept it as it is. Second, spelling is not my strong point either, mostly because I don't care to check it as I type, and I don't care enough to make a publication out of it. The folks who post here just want a quick answer, not a publication quality dissertation. Take it for what it is.

In many ways, I appreciate DocV for following up, correcting spellings, and mistakes in my post. Take it for what it is - I don't have the time to impress you, or any other posters who wants proof of education by the quality of my grammar.

I guess it is not worth it to hang around a board whose members have nothing better to do than to criticizes, harass, and make fun of your profession, your hobbies, and your background.

That is the whole point, vladimir, is that one should not trust an opinion in a public forum. To be honest with you, as English is my second language, my grammar doesn't come natural - so accept it as it is. Second, spelling is not my strong point either, mostly because I don't care to check it as I type, and I don't care enough to make a publication out of it. The folks who post here just want a quick answer, not a publication quality dissertation. Take it for what it is.

In many ways, I appreciate DocV for following up, correcting spellings, and mistakes in my post. Take it for what it is - I don't have the time to impress you, or any other posters who wants proof of education by the quality of my grammar.

I guess it is not worth it to hang around a board whose members have nothing better to do than to criticizes, harass, and make fun of your profession, your hobbies, and your background.
I don't want to argue with you, Doc; I appreciate your contributions to the board. And I certainly agree not to trust an opinion--I assess opinions, I don't trust them.

I understand not having the time to impress people. Perhaps the answer is to not post professional opinions when you can't give them the attention they deserve. Nobody expects you to work in your free time. There's plenty of dive conversation here that we can do off the tops of our collective heads.

Hey, I've taken enough hints from you, DocVikingo, and others. As you can see my profile is deleted. I'll request NetDoc to remove my account.

Hey, I've taken enough hints from you, DocVikingo, and others. As you can see my profile is deleted. I'll request NetDoc to remove my account.
I am sorry to see you go.

I really regret losing the valuable contributions from this poster. These comments could have been presented so we could learn without having the op feel it necessary to leave the board. I would suggest that reading the reactions and comments in this thread have impacted others in a negative way.
I have certainly scrapped any consideration of taking a DM course.
I have inherited a family weakness with spelling but I am neither stupid or uneducated. I and others like me have valuable experiences, knowledge and contributions that should be respected.:shakehead:

Unfortunately some people express themselves badly in the written medium. That said, I think some of the comments here have bordered on destructive rather than constructive criticism. Please stay and make a contribution towards changing that on SB. There are those who can debate well and succinctly, and not resort to personal attack.

I think personal experiences are worth reading about, and if we can learn from them as well then that's a bonus.

And may I say, in my opinion when people are hounded off here, then that reflects badly on ALL of us.

Fisher, don't let the bad behavior of a Troll ruin your day. I have read many of your posts, and while not always agreeing with you, you do contribute to the discussion. Get your assess back on the board.

Bruce

We don't delete profiles.

The overall positive contribution made by the OP out weighs the destructive criticism demonstrated by a few posters. I feel I have learned a lot be reading and experiencing this thread. After weighing through the "you are not as smart as us don't even try" attitude I believe we are all very fortunate to have been able to learn about different roles the DMC can or should play. I thank the posters who assumed the role of experts because the knowledge they shared is invaluable and may not have been points that I picked up on as I continue through my own training.

Thank you OP. Thank you experts. I look forward to the fall when I prepare for this exciting and challenging training.

Bus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom