Fortune Pond in Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatlakeswreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting ready for a trip to Copper Harbor for some Lake Superior diving. Wife is trying out a new dry suit and I want to get a few dives on it before the trip. Heard about Fortune Pond near Crystal Falls, MI. Saw some videos and read about it. Sounds like it will have the depth, viz and thermoclines we are looking for.

Things I am wondering -

where are the closest air fills?

I didn't see any videos carrying dive flags - are they required there?

Anyone know if they have camping close?

You've probably seen my video, but here it is. Fortune Pond, The Emerald of Upper Michigan on Vimeo As far as I know, Fortune Pond is BYO air. I do not know of any close camping, but try the Lake Shore Motel over in Iron River. Some what dated, but clean nice rooms. Read, Not Expensive. Iron River has a couple of really nice resturants and bars too. Good eats and nice people. Can't beat that. There is no motor boat traffic on Fortune Pond and I do not believe a flag is required for that reason.
I really enjoy the area as it brings me back 30+ years and the diving is top notch. A great place to hone skills and check out new gear!

I did see the video - very nice.

Hopefully someone can let me know if there is a closer place than Marquette to get air. We only have two tanks and hoping to get in about 4 dives. Trying to pick up a couple more steel tanks but deal is taking longer than I expected. Might just rent a couple tanks but planning on going to Copper Harbor next week and will need tanks for that too. Ah - if we only had all the gear we wanted....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom