Fort Pierce / Vero Beach Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FormerAbDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok so I'm in the process of moving back to where I trained for my commercial certifications back in '73- Fort Pierce. I'm also bringing a dive boat with me, a 26' Radon. I'm going to be looking for friends that are willing to share the cost of fuel and go diving and/or fishing. I will also be taking this boat to the Bahamas for the same purpose. The ideal number of people would be three plus myself, that way one pair would dive while the others tend the boat, and then vice versa. Anyone interested?

First off, welcome back! Are you hoping to run out of Ft Pierce or run further south? What kind of ladder do you have?

First off, welcome back! Are you hoping to run out of Ft Pierce or run further south? What kind of ladder do you have?
There is a good chance I'll buy a place in Queens Cove on the Island. I'll have a lift there so that's where I'll keep the boat. Not saying I won't trailer it to somewhere like the Keys to dive. No ladder yet. I intend to have one made. Either in Oxnard CA where the boat currently is, or possibly at East Cape in Orlando. Since the boat is an I/O I've got a good portion of the transom to work with. I wish it had a dive door but oh well.

I only ask because visibility in Ft Pierce is a coin flip and usually lands on tails. The water temp is also much colder. It could be 85 degrees with 80ft of vis in Jupiter and WPB and be 73 degrees and 5ft of vis in Ft Pierce. We find Stuart to be a coin toss as well. It's good that you'll have your own lift, the ramp in Ft Pierce is not organized well for busy weekends. It took us an hour and almost getting in a few fights to get our boat on the trailer last time. It was so chaotic people were pulling up chairs to watch the chaos. No one respects the order of arrival and there's no room to get off to get your truck until you're at the ramp.

@MrChen That's interesting about the visibility. Back in the 70's I beach dove fairly frequently off Fort Pierce. It probably wasn't 80 foot but was at least 40. I guess if I was to run my boat 60 miles to reach West Palm the question would be why am I not going to the Bahamas. :)

Regarding boat ramps, yea they are all like that everywhere. It's just the Urban Termites coming out of their Mound and for the most part they are clueless about etiquette and most everything else. Did I just say that out loud? :)

@MrChen That's interesting about the visibility. Back in the 70's I beach dove fairly frequently off Fort Pierce. It probably wasn't 80 foot but was at least 40. I guess if I was to run my boat 60 miles to reach West Palm the question would be why am I not going to the Bahamas. :)

Regarding boat ramps, yea they are all like that everywhere. It's just the Urban Termites coming out of their Mound and for the most part they are clueless about etiquette and most everything else. Did I just say that out loud? :)
Jim Barry Park in WPB has room to dock your boat without blocking the ramps, so that you can get your vehicle without creating gridlock.

Exciting times, the house I'm buying in Fort Pierce is under contract. And next Wednesday I fly to Santa Barbara for sea trials on the boat I'll bring with me (if all goes well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom