Forgot to snap my spg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
First dive with my bp/w and the 24" spg hose. The first time I checked my spg, I didn't get it snapped back to my hip. I couldn't find it without my buddy's help, which worries me. I'd like to be able to recover from something like this myself. What do you guys do if this happens?

Don't worry about it -- it takes time to get this stuff down. It does help, although your family will laugh at you for it, to wear the BP and reg around the house and clip and unclip until the movement becomes natural. After you get it bare-handed, then do it with whatever gloves you wear to dive.

The first couple of times I tried to clip underwater, I ended up in the bottom and never did get it clipped. Now I do it without thinking about it. Just takes time.

Takes practice, don't sweat it, after a few dives you'll be clipping and unclipping it with no problem.

When the roll doesn't work, reach up to the first and grab the HP hose (been there, done that). If it didn't pull lose, I get the next step is a doffing and donning exercise.

The best solution is clip your SPG bolt snap correctly every time.

I had a similar situation occur recently while doing bottle (i.e. deco & stage) drills; while moving bottles around I partially clipped a leash bolt snap to my left hip D ring and ended up losing an ALU80 stage when it came unclipped.

I now tug on the bolt snap & slide it back & forth on the D ring to assure that its properly clipped off.

David K

What about a retractor....although I'm guessing it's not DIR. :)

Like to know why though...forgive my ignorance.

Spectre and awap nailed it. My preferred method is to grab the HP hose from the first stage and follow it down to the SPG, but the sweep works equally well.

As the others have also said, after a few dives you won't even be thinking about it anymore. No sweat.

pants!:
Spectre and awap nailed it.
Really? I read it that the diver just couldn't do the snap...not that the hose was "lost".

It has happened to me when the d-ring lies flat on the webbing and you have to feel around for it to pull it off the webbing.

sjspeck:
What about a retractor....although I'm guessing it's not DIR. :)

Like to know why though...forgive my ignorance.
A piece of hardware to solve a skill issue is usually always a problem.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom