Unknown Forensic experts report on three fatal deep dives

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Would love to see a vigorous discussion of these three cases. You can see where "foam at the mouth" might yield a conclusion that the three deaths were similar. Yet after sophisticated analysis, the opposite is proven.
A fascinating paper! Thank you @DandyDon !

I was confused by this statement:
Case#2 was about a 70-year-old woman who died after a cave diving with a friend.
The equipment was clearly not for cave diving, and the profile doesn't seem to match a cave dive?
Also in the introduction of the case studies it says:
Three seventy-year-old recreational divers - two males and a female - went diving with friends to the same stretch of sea between June and July.
Could it have been a just a visit to a sea cave/cavern opening, or maybe even an open air-filled cave at the surface with water beneath?

Anyways, it was definitely an interesting read. Just looking at the two profiles of Case #2 and #3 is enough to give me shivers...

I'm not a CCR diver, so it may be obvious, but I was confused about the configuration of the gas supply for Case #3. It seems he had two 3l tanks, one of which is referred to as the "main" tank and the other as "diluent", although both of them contained gas mixtures with ~20% O2 (the "main" tank trimix and the "diluent" tank heliox).

After the accident, the "main" tank showed 0 bar pressure. The report states that he realised the "main" tank had dropped to 0 bar at a 10m deco stop and tried to switch to a "secondary" oxygen tank. He was unable to do this and it seems he lost buoyancy in the attempt and sunk to ~33m.

He also had 2 bail-out tanks, both with plenty of gas.

Does this make sense? I thought a CCR would have one tank with a high percentage of O2 and another with the diluent gas, but according to the report both tanks had mixtures with ~20% O2.

Maybe a CCR diver could interpret this report a bit more clearly.

I'm not a CCR diver, so it may be obvious, but I was confused about the configuration of the gas supply for Case #3. It seems he had two 3l tanks, one of which is referred to as the "main" tank and the other as "diluent", although both of them contained gas mixtures with ~20% O2 (the "main" tank trimix and the "diluent" tank heliox).

After the accident, the "main" tank showed 0 bar pressure. The report states that he realised the "main" tank had dropped to 0 bar at a 10m deco stop and tried to switch to a "secondary" oxygen tank. He was unable to do this and it seems he lost buoyancy in the attempt and sunk to ~33m.

He also had 2 bail-out tanks, both with plenty of gas.

Does this make sense? I thought a CCR would have one tank with a high percentage of O2 and another with the diluent gas, but according to the report both tanks had mixtures with ~20% O2.

Maybe a CCR diver could interpret this report a bit more clearly.
it doesn't make sense.

It is astonishing to me how difficult it is to persuade the authorities to examine the black box data in scuba diving fatality investigations. The Rob Stewart case is a prime example. NEDU never examined the CCR's black box data, the US Coast Guard had to be forced to download the data - and then they misinterpreted it, and the Medical Examiner never looked at it. The result? Seven years of litigation over the cause of death, which was incorrectly attributed to hypoxia.

I can also tick off a list of cases where the dive computer was removed from the diver and the scene, without any thorough examination of the data ever taking place: Mills, Skiles, Barrett, Robles, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom