Forcefins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbosullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had experiences with them? I've heard good things about them, but wonder how much of it is advertising...

Has anyone had experiences with them?

Sure, you betcha. I own and use five different sets of fins, two pair are Force Fins. I also own two sets of Free Dive Fins. Leg strength for me is not an issue. Depends on what conditions that I'm expecting as to which I take.

I've heard good things about them,

Oh, and you surely will. Many people like them because they own them, quite a few like them because they carefuly selected them. If nothing else, they are less hard on inadvertant reef contact. They have a lot of great plusses! I find them a lot less abusive on my feet and legs. I have never gotten a blister and rarely a cramp.

but wonder how much of it is advertising...

Advertising would be the stuff you see on full pages in magazines.

Ask to borrow them the next time you run into someone. I can't imagine that anyone would hesitate to allow you to try them out. I have a pair of Regular Force Fins and also Excellarating Fins.

Converted to Force Fins last year. Took my other fins on that trip, just in case I wasn't satisfied with the performance. But next trip it was the Force Fins in my dive bag ...and will be from now on.

They are, without exception, the most comfortable fins I've worn in over 30 years of diving. I bought mine "sized" for barefoot use and wear them with a 2 - 3mm neoprene sock. Just enough to maintain foot warmth. I have not noticed any loss of performance/maneuverability in the water since changing over to Force Fins.

You'll get a funny look or two the first time you don them and step to the edge of the platform to enter the water. Actually, there are a lot of divers who have never seen and are totally unaware that they even exist. They are much easier to walk in than a more traditional fin but I ocassionaly pull them on when I am on the last step of the ladder just before my entry.

Has anyone had experiences with them? I've heard good things about them, but wonder how much of it is advertising...

I have a pair of Force Fin Pros that I've toyed with but never used seriously. I keep them around because of all the great reviews and because they seem like good travel fins if weight/space is ever an issue.

That said I don't use them because they just don't seem very good for frogkicking, which the my kick of choice. Some people say you can frogkick in them, and I suppose you can, but it doesn't compare to the frog on the jets.

And the higher end models, Excellerating Force Fin (Tan Delta model) in particular, is priced at $629 so there's no chance I'd even get to try those fins. And even if they were amazing the price is more than I'm willing to pay for fins.

I love mine and I generally frog kick when submerged. They seem to do everything any other fin can do... I don't know about better or worse, but they do it. The plus side for me was in my old fins, on long surface swims, my feet used to cramp up. Since switching, I have not had any foot/toe cramping at all. Also a smaller benefit -- since the fins are upturned, you can (somewhat) safely walk on beach or a boat with them on w/o tripping.

I love mine and I generally frog kick when submerged. They seem to do everything any other fin can do... I don't know about better or worse, but they do it. The plus side for me was in my old fins, on long surface swims, my feet used to cramp up. Since switching, I have not had any foot/toe cramping at all. Also a smaller benefit -- since the fins are upturned, you can (somewhat) safely walk on beach or a boat with them on w/o tripping.

Maybe you are right. I have managed to do breath-hold pool laps on them using frogkick, but was getting very little glide/propulsion out of those kicks. I'd like to see someone use them underwater with the frog- and back kick or someone tape themselves doing it and posting it here. Better yet, I'd like to have someone who knows how to use them (for frog, etc) dive next to someone who knows how to use the jets and see what happens. My assumption is the guy on FF's would be kicking a lot more frequently just to keep up.

Maybe you are right. I have managed to do breath-hold pool laps on them using frogkick, but was getting very little glide/propulsion out of those kicks. I'd like to see someone use them underwater with the frog- and back kick or someone tape themselves doing it and posting it here. Better yet, I'd like to have someone who knows how to use them (for frog, etc) dive next to someone who knows how to use the jets and see what happens. My assumption is the guy on FF's would be kicking a lot more frequently just to keep up.
after extensive testing diving and surface swimming with most models of force fins I have not noticed a need to ever frog kick with the exception of a 3.68 mile surface swim where I was hauling a 36 dummy explosive for a training mission, in this situation I had to remain absolutely silent without making a ripple in the water to avoid detection, thus the occasional frog kick was a welcome break from the otherwise exhausting flutter kicking. On another dive in the everglade's I had a large group of students in front of me, the water was crystal clear and vis was in excess of 65 feet(side to side in the canal we were in), I was trailing behind the group observing when I noticed allot of dust being up in front of me
then I noticed more small sort of explosions up a head, what was happening was the students(who were at least 8 feet off the bottom mid water) were stirring up dust feet teen feet behind them and 8 feet down, upon further study I noticed that some of the divers did not do this while others did. My dive masters wearing force fins and students wearing force fins did not stirring up dust, unlike the other divers wearing an assortment of jet fins, long blades and split fins. It was bazaar the ground in front of me was being hit by what were like invisible sonic booms from the Guys not wearing
force fins, while I my self was swimming only 3 feet from the bottom and was stirring up absolutely no dust I recovered my tracks to check and the water was still clear where I was diving the canal was a dead end thus very little current or flow at all.
Synopsis Force fins push water behind you instead of down.
I have used the tan deltas in over head environments where stirring up silt may be a problem, and regularly in environments where a false kick and you will be in zero vis.
I hope this helps.

O yeah as far as being left behind because there kicking so much two things, first its all about efficiency with me, not running out of gas before getting home. I was only one of two men on my eight man squad that was wearing force fins when I was chosen to be the "mule" we were all very good swimmers but they had a hard time keeping up with me hauling the "baby", they were in genesis response and genesis split fins as well as some sort of weird floppy fin thing prototype. the other man wearing force fins was the commander. I'm not in honorable shape but I'm nothing special ether, great gear and training can mean the difference between failure and success.

I have a pair of adjustable force fins, and like them a lot. Easy on the legs, knees and feet. Very efficient.

I have also recently bought a pair of Mor-Fins -- I've only used them three times, but they are becoming my favorite. Even easier on the legs and feet. The "kick" is basically the same motion you use to walk, and there is almost no resistance. Very efficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom