Force Fins Pro personal review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I admit it, I’m a bit of a troll and a contrarian. Big deal. But once convinced of something, I can change my mind. When I first starting reading the blogs about Force fins and primarily how much they cost, I balked and otherwise slammed them before even trying them. Well, Bob and Blair at Force Fins send me a PM and them knowing my background (Ex-Army Ranger, rec diver with lots of dives, etc.) send me a pair (actually two as the first ones were too big) to try out and report back. They were wierd to begin with in my pool. BUT, I have to admit, once they were used in the waters of Cozumel, I felt right at home, So after eight dives and several snorkels I can honestly say these are the best fins I have ever owned! Not once did my legs/calves get fatigued and I had more freedom manuering around tight caves and reefs. Are they worth the extra money? Yes! But you have to decide for yourself. I'm a totally converted contrarian and Blair and Bob guaranteed to buy them back if I didn't like them. No way! I'm keeping them and thanks for developing a great prouduct. By the way. I have never met these guys and this a totally unsolicited approval of the ForceFin product. Try them for yourself

I've used the force fins recently. They were the excellerating force fin model with the whiskers.

I used them for 5 dives, using a variety of kicking and finning techniques. My assessment of these fins............... I don't get it, personally.

The owner of Force Fin has to be a marketing genius

To each their own.

I'll stick with my jet fins and spring straps.

If they're your thing, the they're your thing.

-Mitch

"the horror....the horror..." why back in the 'Nam we might have won if we had these fins, BTW, FF has NO marketing to speak of (that I have ever seen) its' all word of mouth, some like 'em, others nada, whatever, moving on with my yellow FF's

Been using Force Fins for fifteen years. On my second pair now, pro model. I think I paid about $100 (LeasurePro), which was MUCH cheaper than the split-fins that just hit the market. Great for suitcase packing and the ability to walk with them on a boat deck. Bad for snorkeling but I'm not packing two pairs of fins. And I cannot NOT snorkel with my wife (have to sneak in dives).

Pullmyfinger, Thank you, I only could wish I was a marketing genius. 80 percent of my sales come from word of mouth. Some of my best customers started in Jet Fins including my self. I started freelancing as a underwater photographer in 1968, using Jet fins for over 20 years. Some how they did not make sense for moving Thur water, so in 1971 I started making pro type models till 1980. The mail order catalog Sharper Image picked them up selling over $900,000 in the first year with a 0.5 % return rate, mostly sizing. So you must be pulling my finger. YouTube - The History of Force Fin

Last edited:
Pullmyfinger, Thank you, I only could wish I was a marketing genius. 80 percent of my sales come from word of mouth. Some of my best customers started in Jet Fins including my self. I started freelancing as a underwater photographer in 1968, using Jet fins for over 20 years. Some how they did not make sense for moving Thur water, so in 1971 I started making pro type models till 1980. The mail order catalog Sharper Image picked them up selling over $900,000 in the first year with a 0.5 % return rate, mostly sizing. So you must be pulling my finger. YouTube - The History of Force Fin

Hey Bob Evans! I am still waiting for the "new" high end freedive version of Force fins to come out. Right now I am loving my C4 carbon Freedive fins, but as soon as you tell me you have your perfected freedive fins out, you do know I want a pair :)

For everyone else, Bob is a genius in the way he has created fins for the vast majority of divers--different fins for each power/strength and speed requirement for each physical category of divers. Obviously, all divers do not have the same strength, and can't all be happy with the same fin...and there is a huge variation in what kind of speed and duration of effort, divers are involved in--Bob has this covered. His fins beat the splits( any model of split, there is a force fin that will beat it), the splits are only out there because of enormous ad budgets and the disgusting lack of "true reporting", and the advertorial nature of the major Dive magazines.

You should not just try any Force Fin--this is crazy. There is most likely a Force fin designed very closely to your individual needs--your first step is determining WHICH model of force fin this is, for you.....this is where a dive shop can be useful, or useless ( if they offer you a demo in a model clearly right for you, or one that is wrong for you).

My only gripe through the years, is that Bob has not done a fin for guys like me ( competitve cyclist/scuba diver/freediver) where the fins will make optimal use of larger cardio systems and much larger leg muscles ( than the "average scuba diver" would have). We do a large kick and a big long glide with freedive fins, and there is a Force Fin design for this..I tried one of his early prototypes ... I have no doubt that when/if Bob decides to make a fin to compete with the C40, his will be the best fin on the planet!
Regards,
Dan Volker

Bob,

Thanks for your great fins! I know I need to get around to buying a new pair, but the originals I bought in 1995 are still going strong. A little stained, but strong. BTW, they're getting exposure at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center! I do a performance dive there a few times a month, and everyone asks about the Force Fins. A great product, and they work wonders in the confined tanks.

I'll be ordering a new pair shortly,
Thanks,
Mike

****Edit****
Just got a deal on a new set of Blue FF Pro's!

Last edited:
Dan, Funny that you would write. Starting to look at that free diving blade for you. I know as a test diver you gave me some good feed back on a prototype freediving fin. I've received interest in the non-molding method I am using to make the free diving blade, so I had pulled those blades you tested years ago out. That has sparked my interest, especially after developing the SD-1military fin, and learning some tricks for the free diving foot pocket. This week another good friend Harald Johnson, the founding director of Tri-Fed and a great waterman. He sent me this clip from Youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyPudjbiKo Harald is using a mono-fin we made together 15 years ago to breach out of the water. I remember you also had a interest in Mono-fins, so stand bye, so I am going to tackle both fins using the same design foot pocket. Thanks for your support, Best Regards, Bob

Seems like every time I read one of these threads the same argument happens.

I have been coming up with a list of things Force Fins aren't disputed to be best for.
1. walking in fins (one of the reasons Chatterton loves em)
2. people who have issues with normal fins due to muscle/skeletal issues

Now, number 1 is a matter of preference. However, that feature may be on the top of some peoples requirements if the fin performs equally with other fins that suit their diving type.

Number 2 may not be a matter of preference for people as a Force Fin may be required to prevent cramping, injury, etc.

Something else that isn't in dispute, is customer service. When I bought my Slipstreams, my LDS couldn't even get OMS to get back with them. I had to internet order them. I guarantee that if I had an issue with those fins, I wouldn't get the kind of service Bob gives his customers.

Force Fins. Some people try them and love them, some don't. Don't like em? Don't buy em. It gets tiring hearing the same too expensive/can't frog kick stuff every time someone brings them up. Yeah, they have force fins that frog kick as well. Look at the ones on Chatterton's feet.

I think force fins have now replaced split fins on the "jets vs _____" drama ladder.

I am diving on monday with my Force Fins and I do love them. Deco Martini has a great point about them. I can tell you that if you are in the back of a C-130 or a CH-53 and you have fins on Pro's are much easier to walk with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom