Force Fins - Not quite working...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarjan

Contributor
Reaction score
So I went out a while ago with my force fins. I switched because I wanted something smaller and lighter for traveling (using a divecaddy backpack) and thought, based on the reviews, this would be a good choice.

The first "problem" I had is that they don't really work well with the dive caddy. Just a bit of some curves in the wrong direction for the bag. Not an insurmountable problem by any stretch, just a bit annoying making it a bit lumpy. This is a design issue in the dive caddy as the bag uses the fins as a structural element. It works better with flat fins.

The second, and more important, issue is that I just couldn't develop the power I needed. I don't know what the heck I was doing wrong, but I burned through my air even quicker than normal and when I used my drysuit.. wow I *really* killed my air. At one point I had to make a controlled, but early (compared to plan) ascent because I was just burning too fast and needed to stay safe. This continued through the entire week of diving, I improved my air use a bit, but nothing drastic. What worried me most was that in currents with the drysuit and I couldn't hack it with the FFs. I know the drysuit adds more drag, but I have been in considerably stronger currents without issue and my other fins.

A few weeks later I had another dive but this time I used my quattros and had no issues, o2 use was in line with the other divers if that matters.

I know some have no issues so I can only assume it is me.

As for a model, they are regular force fins, not the pros or other random model.

I say its the fins, everyone kicks differently and that is a reason that fins are different for the different kick types. I would look at getting a different pair. I really like the Cressi Reaction's. They are inexpensive and preform really really well.

I would suspect the problem is kicking technique. You need to kick force fins from the hip and quads - relaxing the knees and ankles - and slow your kick rate down. The fins need to be allowed to rebound at the end of the kick before changing directions. It takes some time to change the way you kick but if you kick properly they should give you plenty of propulsion and feel like they are almost not there (people tend to kick them too hard because they don't feel them stressing their feet, ankles & knees).

Now if you are trying to use them for Frog Kicks - they will not work. The shape of the originals & pros just does not work well for frog kicks.

I use FF's... I use a frog kick, relaxed kick-and-glide, pretty much all of the propulsion comes from very undemanding ankle movement. Sort of a sculling motion for relaxed propulsion. Yep.. just from the ankles/lower legs. The key is ankle rotation, to engage the flat surface of the fins.

I don't have much cause to 'race' underwater, so my typical pace (with singles or doubles) is very relaxed. Using good kick-and-glide, I can still out-pace most of the people I dive with - without any effort. That said, I can get an impressive sprint going if I need it.

Now if you are trying to use them for Frog Kicks - they will not work. The shape of the originals & pros just does not work well for frog kicks.

I beg to differ. Have been using my Force Fins for 7 years and 2000+ dives... and never had a problem with frog kicking.

Andy-Doubles-San-Quentin.jpg3517028421_178495b91b.jpg3517839886_9411ae8007.jpg3517839944_9d426834c1.jpg

I really wish that I has better information to go on here, but as a FF diver for almost 15 years now, you'll never feel like you are developing "power" with FF because they have little to no tactile feedback where you are used to feeling it. the best thing I can tell someone is to go to the pool and kick without fins (hard as you can for 10 minutes), learn the feel of the kick, then put the FF on and you'll feel the speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom