Force Fins, Does anybody actually use them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Force Fin Pros, used them for years, still use them often enough. N

My former professor (a member of the National Geographic Explorers Club) uses Force Fins exclusively. Nobody in their right mind makes comments to her about how ridiculous her fins look... :eyebrow:

They're unpopular, unattractive and under-rated. I liked the control aspects but found the thrust was low, I'll stick to my Jets/Turtles.

I have seen that thread before, I think I may have even commented in there, but I will try and help debunk some of the myths.

Something that you should be able to find in there, is that most people that don't like them have either never used them, or only tried them once. The people that have spent time actually diving them like them, most love them. The SB memeber MarkUK, did a pretty nice info piece on the previous thread, mentioning many of the same things that I did.

also I noticed in that thread people are saying the following myths
1) you can't frog kick in them. False, you not only can frog kick, but you can also scull, which you can not do with Jets
2) they can not provide the "torque or thrust" that jets can. well, the easiest answer to that is to point to the test, showing they on par with or better than the fastest fins on the market. thus proving that "torque" is nothing but load on your legs, which means more air consumption, faster tiring, cramping, etc.

I was reading the forcefin web site and it seems to make sense. I was diving in the Keys, when a group of divers decided to bug a nurse shark. I was on a different part of the reef when I noticed it's shape coming towards my side. When it was about 20 feet away, I went vertical to let it know I was there. The shark hit its afterburners and was gone.

I remember thinking that the sharks tail surface area is not that large as compared to the rest of it's body and wondered how much energy it had just expended.

I may just go find a pair of Force Fins and see how they work out. According to their web site, there is a dealer in my state, however forcefins list has not been updated since 05, so we'll see.

JCAT:
I may just go find a pair of Force Fins and see how they work out. According to their web site, there is a dealer in my state, however forcefins list has not been updated since 05, so we'll see.

I found a set for cheap in a dump bin at Divers Discount once and used them in the pool. They worked great for assisting divers in the pool. Never thought to use them in the open water.

Went to the Red Sea along with the chief equipmet geek for PADI UK. He used them all week, and this guy can have anything he wants. He uses them exclusively- even did the "Under the English Channel" charity swim/dive in them. Got me to thinking.

I pulled mine out and took them on my trip to the Carinbbean. They were a delight. No more foot cramps. Ahhhhhhh

One day, I switched back to my long-blade free dive fins because of the anticipated current and the host of new divers who would be along- and for that, I'm not so sure I would want to have Force Fins if the s.h.t.f. and I had to assist someone u/w or on the surface, but for every other puropse, they were a just easy-breezy and well worth the few ounces of weight to pack.

One vote: yes.

This is my second season with Force Fin Pros and I love them and recommend them to everybody. The only downside, in my opinion, is the price (when compared to turtles or jets). I mostly use frog-kick, but they flutter like a charm, and I can go backwards (a backwards kick? Whatever its called) just as well as any other fin I've tried. I used them for my rescue class and had no problem doing all the tows.

I don't really understand the whole "wouldn't take them in a current" argument, and all of the other common criticisms are just fallacious.

I had been curious about Force Fins for years, and had been put off by price, lack of availibility, negative reports, and the "attitude" of the companys advertising.
Picked up a pair to try for myself, well they look funny, but I can't say anything else is wrong with them.
While I like them, my buddy does not. All I can say is that opinions on these fins vary widely, only you can judge what is best for your type of diving.

michangal:
I have been looking all over for someone who has actually used force fins, not a dealer, or someone who works for "forcefin.com" but an actual diver who has used them on multiple dives. I have found all kinds of articles about this or that and how the navy seals use them, blah, blah, blah. Every time I dig out the source it turns out to be linked to the force fin company.

Is there anybody out there who uses force fins or has used them and can express an honest opinion without getting a kick back from the company?

Here you go..Carl's wearing them in this shot, I took the pic. Friday July 20th, last week.....But remember, Carl is Carl..........lol...........
IMG_1975020.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom